Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Rabbit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julia

Backup Data

Post by Rabbit »

Hi experts, we are trying the community edition. When scheduled the backup jobs, it shows the total of the size the host and virtuals are 5.1TB, after the backup is finished, the backup files size is 105GB. I didn't see the any error in the log file. Is it normal? Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backup Data

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is normal. Veeam shows total provisioned disk space to each machine, however during backup we skip empty blocks (backup only actual data). Add there compression and deduplication techniques and you get a perfect backup done!
/Cheers!
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

Thank you very much! So if I restored the data, everything (configuration and data) should be restored, and the host setting should be restored as well, is it correct?
Also I noticed the backup data on the first day was 105GB and the rest of the day is 8GB (understand it is block backup) and so on. When the files are restored, which files do I need to use for the restore?
I have the files for the whole week starting from Monday.

Thank you!
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

When I added the server for the backup, I only added Microsoft Hyper-V, and nothing else for the backup jobs. Is it correct? Please advise!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

- you can restore from any point in time when you had backup done(full backup or changes-only Incremental). Whole chain shall stay intact, and Veeam will automatically pick required data from it to restore.
- having Hyper-V host added you are preforming VM backup, aka protecting machines running on said host. It does backup VM configuration and it's virtual disks. It does not backup HV host itself and it's configuration - if you lose a host, to restore VM backups you will have to have (another) Hyper-V host.
/Cheers!
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

But how to backup the host together with the VM? Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

You can use Veeam Agent fow Windows for it. Agent Management Guide explains whole process in detail.
/Cheers!