Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sidavid
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

VMware Tools Quiesce on RH 64 Bits

Post by sidavid »

Hi Veeam,

This morning I received this error:
Creating a quiesced snapshot failed because the (user-suuplied) custom pre-freeze script in the virtual machine exited with a non-zero return code.

I used Veeam Backup Version 2.0.1.164 and the VM is a Linux Red hat 4 64 Bits. This week-end, I updated the kernel to version 2.6.9-78.0.17. I reinstalled the Vmware Tools successfully.

Before the update, the setting Enable Vmware tools guest quiescence was check. Now I unchecked the setting and backup was success.

Do you know why I received this error?

And my second question is, Could you explain me the difference between Enable Vmware tools guest quiescence and VSS?

Thanks in advance

David
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VMware Tools Quiesce on RH 64 Bits

Post by Gostev »

David, I can answer the VSS question. VSS is Windows-specific technology that cannot be used on Linux at all. On Linux, you can only use Vmware Tools guest quiescence.
sidavid
Enthusiast

Post by sidavid »

I know that VSS is a Microsoft Technology, that cannot run on Linux. So what is the difference between VSS and Enable VM Tools quiescence??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

David, the difference is that VSS provides application-level quiescence (better) - but it works on Windows only. VMware Tools quiescence on the other hand provides file-level quiescence - this works on all operating systems, but introduces risk of corrupting applications data. This is why (as far as I know) most people use pre-freeze scripts to stop certain applications on Linux servers before creating a snapshot.
sidavid
Enthusiast

Post by sidavid »

Thanks for the clarification.

And my error on the Linux, do you know why? I know that after an update kernel we must reinstall Vmware Tools. So I reinstalled the tool successfully and this morning I received this error.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

David, since running the pre-freeze scripts is performed by VMware Tools, I think it would be best for you to contact VMware Support about it. May be the current version of VMware Tools simply does not support the new kernel version?
biker
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by biker »

I have the same problem with my SUSE 10 64bit VM and Veeam Backup 3.0 Esx U4
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Most likely you have an existing snapshot on this VM. There is a VMware Tools issue with Linux servers that is causing this error if Linux VM has one or more snapshots. Please remove all snapshots and try again.