Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mlottcpap
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Restore VM Replica as new VM

Post by mlottcpap »

I need to restore not just guest files but an entire VM as a new VM from a replica made yesterday. I suppose that the right option in the restore dialog is planned failover to a replica. I don't want to interrupt the current live VM.

I suppose I could simply apply the correct snapshot (Go to) on the replica VM and boot it while not connected to the network. I'm just wondering what will be the best option.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Restore VM Replica as new VM

Post by Shestakov »

Do you want to restore to the original host, where the source VM is running or to keep it on the secondary host, but make it independent from the original one?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What's the reason of this operation? Do you need to keep that VM state or is it just a replica test? You can manually start the replica to any of the snapshots, just keep in mind that all the changes occurred while VM was running will be discarded during the next job run. And make sure to turn it off by the time the job starts next time.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

By the way, replica failover does not change the state of the original VM, please take a look at this article on our help center.
I'd suggest to avoid powering on replica manually and to use failover functionality, you can always revert replica to its pre-failover state by doing undo failover.

If you want to restrict network traffic between replica and the production network, you may apply network mapping rules in the replication job settings to replicate
the VM to another network from which you have no access to the production one.

One more option for tests in isolated environments is to use SureReplica functionality.

Thanks!