Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
owahid@nmi.gov.eg
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Omar Wahid

Backup Over SAN using Veaam

Post by owahid@nmi.gov.eg »

I have a physical Veeam server connected to SAN switch .
I have 3par 8200 storage system which host the production VMs and connected to the same SAN SW
I have IBM v3700 and IBM V5000 which I will use as repository for backups and connected to the same SAN SW
My Questions is:
I want to take backups from the 3par to IBM Over SAN not over LAN?
How to do it?
How to ensure Storage integration with veaam?
How to ensure data integrity and no corruption of production VMs on production LUNs hosted by 3par?

How to create readonly zone on the san switch (Brocade or IBM switch) between veeam physical server and 3par storage system?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backup Over SAN using Veaam

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Omar.
1. Make sure you clearly distinguish Veeam's Storage Integration for VMware(which works with SAN Snapshots) with Veeam's Hyper-V Off-Host proxy(which works with Hardware VSS snapshots).
2. Have an Off-Host Proxy Server(Veeam server in your case?) to meet all system requirements, including Hyper-v role enabled and HPE 3PAR Hardware VSS provider installed across the nodes.
3. Add IBM storages LUNs to Veeam server and use those as "Windows" type repository(local disk)
4. Having those met, backup job will automatically use Off-Host backup mode and utilize SAN network for transport.
/Cheers!
owahid@nmi.gov.eg
Influencer

Hi,
Many thanks for the support
But one point is not cleared for me:
How to add Hosts and Clustered shared volumes to Veaam?
Adding hosts by their IPs and names? Or
Adding the storage system to the backup infrastructure and Veaam will auto detect volumes? Or
Mapping the volumes to the Veaam backup server ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Omar, just add your virtualization hosts to Veeam B&R (IP's or names doesn't really matter) and then configure off-host proxy using the link referred by Egor above. For repository, use these instructions.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Correct, and volumes will be auto discovered by Veeam. If something doesn't work with auto-detect(say, Hyper-V keeps using Software VSS Provider for some reason), you can fine-tune volumes\VSS providers manually, using Manage Volumes option in Veeam.
/Cheers!
LEADFOOT
Lurker
Full Name: Martin Broz

Post by LEADFOOT »

Hello guys, I´m dealing with same task as Omar, BUT in MS Hyper-V 2016 Environment.

2x 3PAR 8200 - production storage
8x HPE DL360Gen10 - produciton Hyper-V 2012R2 hosts
HPE MSA 2050 - backup storage
HPE DL380Gen10 - backup server 2012R2

Backup storage directly FC connected to backup server
Production storage and hyper-v hosts connected to brocade FC switch

production and backup branch are connected via 10GBit HPe switch.

Is it possible to throw that switch away(or let it for LeftHand Storage and older servers) and backup directly by san(FC) network using a physical backup server as an off-host proxy?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Martin,
you mention MS Hyper-V 2016 environment however your hosts are 2012R2...quite confusing.
Anyhow, network connection is still needed for management traffic, but yeah, you can offload backup traffic to FC network using Off-Host Proxy. Traffic will go 3PAR->(FC) off-Host Proxy ->(FC) MSA.
/Cheers!
LEADFOOT
Lurker
Full Name: Martin Broz

Post by LEADFOOT »

Hi Egor,

all servers are WS2016, I´m doing too many things at once...

Thanks for reply, I´ll test it soon.
owahid@nmi.gov.eg
Influencer

Hi,
I understand that if I am using Hyper-V in my environment then I have not to add the storage system to storage infrastructure on the veeam ,
All I have to do is to install the Hardwre VSS provider software (for 3par) in all nodes (include the proxy server it self) and choose to use proxy server with off host mode.
That Means that I do not need to add the storage system to veeam and also not have to add the veeam proxy server as a host in the storage system with its WWN.
Am I correct????
owahid@nmi.gov.eg
Influencer

What about the license I have Enterprize license for veeam . Is it enough? or need enterprize plus?
I have snapshot license for 3par . Do I need to run snapshots or it will be automatically triggered by veeam?
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

owahid@nmi.gov.eg wrote: Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm That Means that I do not need to add the storage system to veeam and also not have to add the veeam proxy server as a host in the storage system with its WWN.
Right, you do not have to add the storage to Veeam B&R but the off-host proxy (as ell as the Hyper-V host itself) must be connected to the shared storage and have read access to the storage LUNs.
foggy
Veeam Software

owahid@nmi.gov.eg wrote: Mar 21, 2020 4:12 pm What about the license I have Enterprize license for veeam . Is it enough? or need enterprize plus?
Off-host backup functionality is available even in Standard Edition.
owahid@nmi.gov.eg
Influencer

One last thing that need to be clarified , how could you ensure that the proxy server have read access to the storage LUNs , if the proxy server and the storage system are in same fabric and same zone in the san is it enough? , or I Have to add the proxy server as one of the hosts in the storage system ? , then export all volumes that have the source VMs files to the proxy server ? (But this is too dangerous as the Lun may be one of the clustered shared volumes and data maybe corrupted as the 3par have no read-only LUN mapping feature ).
I was reading 'the book User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V" CREATED BY VEEAM and the steps written is to add the storage system first to veeam then add the hosts , and to use storage snapshot you need enterprise plus LICENSE . or that apply for vmware hosts only not hyper-V,Mean each hypervisor have its different method to backup from storage, actually I get confused.

Many thanks for the support
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The proxy needs to be added as a host on the storage system and the LUN should be seen in Disk Management on the proxy server. As for the permissions on the storage itself, you better contact the storage vendor. Thanks!