Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
beaue
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Beau

Replication And Backup Job Interference

Post by beaue »

We're having an issue where we have separate Veeam environments that are conflicting with each other. We have an on-premises VBR deployment with a local vCenter and have a separate DR co-location where we have a linked vCenter and a separate VBR deployment. In the on-premises VBR deployment we're doing our regular backup jobs against those VMs and in the co-location VBR deployment we do replica job against some of the same virtual machines (we want the replica configurations done outside on-premises failure zone)

We have separate proxies in place to perform these operations and what we're seeing is from time to time these actions override each other which causes some failure as each environment is trying to create snapshots against the workload.

My thought is that maybe we can have only the primary site perform backups and then at the DR site instead of doing replicas from production workload, actually seed those replicas from backup data that is also replicated to the co-location.

Anybody have ideas on how we can make this work?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Replication And Backup Job Interference

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think replication from backup might be a way to go.

In this case, I'd recommend to manage both backup and replication jobs by the single VBR instance which can be deployed on DR site in order to avoid sharing of the same repository between different VBR servers.

Thanks!