Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

VBR V10 Netapp Storage Integration via SVM

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

With Veeam VBR V10 it should be possible to add just SVM's as Storage system to veeam instead of the whole Netapp system. Unfortunately I couldn't find the neccessary information in the storage integration user guide nor on the internet what steps are required and how do I have to set permissions on Netapp SVMs to add only SVM's instead of the whole system. Currently ( pre Veeam v10) we made a veeam role and an account on the Netapp cluster itself and no special permissions for the SVM, but I assume I have to change permissions on SVM level now? Because I get an error when adding an SVM as a storage system to Veeam. Do I have to create role and user on each specific SVM I want to add to veeam? We have different SVMs used as NFS storage servers which we need to add to veeam.

thx
sandsturm
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VBR V10 Netapp Storage Integration via SVM

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I will ask our NetApp expert to comment as well. In the past you needed Cluster Admin level user and added a Cluster Management LIF, now you need a SVM admin and can add the SVM management LIF.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP ... 641E5.html
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

I was successful by adding an SVM via SVM management LIF and the account vsadmin now. The question is now, if I can create another user on this SVM with just the required permissions to not use the vsadmin account. What would be the minimal permission set to use in this case?

thx
sandsturm
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Post by Adam.Bergh » 2 people like this post

Hi Sandstrum,

I will work on creating a KB on the SVM permissions required. I'll update this forum post with the details.

-Adam
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

is there any blog post or documentation allready available? adding svm with vsadmin does work but with domain account it does not work...
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Post by Adam.Bergh » 2 people like this post

Hi, It's recommended to use a local vsadmin account to connect to the SVM management LIF in VBR v10. Veeam needs full access to the SVM for all of our capability, so this is the recommended approach. We just need "ontapi" access and role vsadmin. You can create an account in System Manager for the VM like this: