Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Can I use immutable backups in AWS S3 + Reverse Incremental Local Storage?

Post by davidb1234 »

We have the local performance storage configured for reverse incremental currently and 14 days of retention. We take backups once per day.

Can I configure AWS S3 repository and add it to scale out repository as a capacity tier and "Copy Backups to object storage as soon as they are created?"

Can I set immutable storage to 3 days or will that prevent reverse incremental from working properly?

Will I create unwanted additional storage usage in AWS S3 because of versioning/immutable turned on the bucket?

Will the backups copied to S3 clean up on the same retention schedule?

Looking for some guidance on best way to do this to keep a number of protected backups in AWS S3 bucket ongoing to protect against ransomware or someone deleting them from the Veeam console, etc.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Can I use immutable backups in AWS S3 + Reverse Incremental Local Storage?

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you can - no problems there.

You should not be thinking about the source backup chain type at all, as how source restore points are stored is completely irrelevant to our object storage integration. By the way, this fact is even specifically captured in the What's New in v10 document, under the Copy policy description.
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

Thank you! How do the restore points copied to S3 clean themselves up(retention)? Does it basically just keep exact copies of all backups there that are stored on site and clean them up in the same way automatically?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

I suppose you can say that, except there are no backup files in object storage. Just a bunch of blocks from original backup files that constitute a restore point. And when an oldest restore point needs to be deleted, all of its blocks are simply deleted (except those which are shared with other/newer restore points, of course). Thanks!
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@davidb1234 -- Anthony Spiteri, one of our Global Technologists in our Product Strategy Team, did a great presentation last April that explains how we use object storage. It is a v9.5.4 discussion and doesn't cover the new "Copy Mode" or "Immutability" features in v10, but it does cover the underlying technologies that are still relevant today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hOCJ9Rj-zE
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » 1 person likes this post

Just as a follow up to that we did a follow up presentation at TDF#20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YbZzBtPM7o This builds on the CFD#5 presentation and talks about Copy Policy and Immutability.
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

Thanks for the videos! One last question. Will the initial copy job to S3 block backup jobs?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

No. The offload task runs separately. But you can also choose a schedule when offload is allowed to run
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances