Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
srebucci
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: vmware

Setup a CRM backup copy for parallel access

Post by srebucci »

Hi everybody,
I would like to provide access to a backup copy of my CRM server (using Virtual Lab and application group as reported on Veeam User guide page 110 for a backup copy of Exchange server accessed by OWA).

The CRM server is built upon two machine srvappcrm (the application and web server) and srvdbcrm (the database server): I've built a lab with domain controller (srvdc1) and the srvdbcrm.
The users using this backup copy should connect to the srvappcrm via web so I've built a SureBackup Job with srvappcrm backup linked to.

1) During the boot up of the srvdc1 (Role Domain Controller), the job say "Configuring DC (Failed to configure DC)": what I've done wrong?

2) The flag "Keep the application group running once the job completes" doesn't keep online the linked backup job, so I couldn't reach the web server, it turns off almost immediately after the ping and heartbeat test. Is there a flag that say "Keep online until I'm done"?

Any help will be appreciated,

Simone
srebucci
Enthusiast

Re: Setup a CRM backup copy for parallel access

Post by srebucci »

Problem 2) solved. I've deleted the linked job and I've added the srvappcrm to the application group. Using the "Keep" flag, I could reach every machine. But I cannot logon on them 'cause they say that there is no domain controller active to check my passwords. I presume that the error "Configuring DC (failed to configure DC" is linked to the problem but i dunno how to fix it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Simone
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Simone,

It's hard to say what you've done wrong without seeing the actual SB job log file. Please contact our support team directly to troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you.
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Hi Vitality,
I looked into the DC and I found that the colleague that has done the setup of the domain controller, had setup the network using dc1 and dc2 (physical machines) as DNS.
When the machine boots up, it cannot see the others domain controllers, so it cannot use them for DNS resolution. Tomorrow, when he'll came back to work, he will fix this and I hope that this will fix the Configuring DC error. I'll post the news asap.

Thanks,
Simone
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

While DNS might indeed be required for your CRM to function, I suspect the specific error above is not related to this. Might be due to the use of dynamic disks on your DC VM. For faster resolution, it would indeed be best to have our support look at your log files. This may save your a lot of time and unnecessary changes.
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Hi Gostev,
you were right: the problem, that I solved with the help of your G-R-E-A-T support team, was related to the vCenter machine: I didn't add the user that run the Veeam Services to the local administrator group of the VMWare vCenter machine: I didn't found this note on the manual, could you please add it (maybe I just missed it, in this case sorry).

Thanks,
Simone
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Simone, please find this note on the p.30 of our User Guide (in the table under Required Permissions section). And thank you for posting the result of your investigation with our support.
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Ops, I totally missed it! Thank you for the great job you do keeping the community so quickly updated: this way you make a great product even greater!!
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Hi everybody,
the CRM backup copy, thanks to the Veeam support team, is now up and running. Now, the problem is that I would like to turn on the application group pointing to an arbitrary day 'cause we need to check if some appointment that are missing today are there a week ago. We have the same retention for of all machines of this group (even the DC).

It's possibile?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi - yes, you can right-click the SureBackup job and choose Start To, then select the date - and all application group's computers will start to the selected date and time. Note that in case you use our ticketing system (virtual lab requests), then selecting the date is a part of settings you provide in the U-AIR wizard. Thanks!
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Perfect!

Thanks,

Simone