Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
srdegeus
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Cloud Connect licenses slashed to a third of what was purchased.

Post by srdegeus »

Back in the time of 9.5u3 we purchased a 3 year Cloud Connect Enterprise Plus (for the Enterprise) license of 130 VMs and 10 servers.

With the instance licensing in 9.5u4 the 130 VMs license was converted to 50 instances, which was nice as this meant we theoretically could protect a few more machines.

However when I upgrade to version 10 and upload the version 10 license (I need to do this manually as our Cloud Connect is isolated and has no internet connectivity), we are suddenly demoted to only 50 VMs as the multiplier is now 3 times as high:

I immediately performed a rollback as this is not acceptable!

Within one year we go from a purchased 130 VMs to a new license scheme where we get 150 VMs (a bonus of 20 VMs) and are then dropped down to just 50 VMs with the next license change.

On paper the VUL (Veeam Universal License) sounds really beneficial, but the reality is that this is a big setback for existing customers.
We can't be the only one with this issue, anyone a idea how this can be fixed before I attempt an upgrade again?
Can support fix this? (I really need this fixed before I try an upgrade again.)
Should I demand an on-site explanation (and fix) from our account manager?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cloud Connect licenses slashed to a third of what was purchased.

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Cloud Connect for Enterprise is now a free feature of Veeam Availability Suite (as long as you meet the entering requirements), so it should not consume any instances.

What you see is an upgrade procedure bug - due to different licensing logic (old and new ones) we cannot immediately drop the counters to zero, so, currently, it's the lasting process: a job runs, backup server lowers counter and so on. So, you can leave everything as is, and after some time the counters will be lowered to zero.

Thanks!
srdegeus
Enthusiast

Post by srdegeus »

Cloud Connect for Enterprise is now a free feature of Veeam Availability Suite (as long as you meet the entering requirements), so it should not consume any instances
Not sure what those entry requirements are, but are you telling me I can get a refund on the remaining 2 years of Cloud Connect licenses we purchased last year?

I find that hard to believe.

But back to the core issue:
V10 Universal License is a third of the costs of a V9.5u4 Instance License, but they are 'upgraded' 1:1. Where a V9.5u4 Instance License could protect 3 VMs, the V10 Universal License just protects 1 VM. How is this going to be fixed. (Or do we really get our money back?)
As a bonus, VUL offers the full Enterprise Plus edition feature set at a discount of up to 33%.
https://www.veeam.com/blog/introducing- ... cense.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

If you're talking about regular backup functionality now, then I guess there's some confusion on your end, because 1 Instance could never protect 3 VMs.

1 VM always required 1 Instance, regardless of the license edition. And VCC-E was an additional per-VM fee on top of that.

I don't believe we do refunds in principle, as per paragraph 11 in our EULA. But we're wrong people to ask about anything sales or contract related anyway, as we're with R&D. For these topics, you should talk to your Veeam sales representative .
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Where a V9.5u4 Instance License could protect 3 VMs, the V10 Universal License just protects 1 VM.
If you are talking about Cloud Connect VMs counter, then, again:
* Previously, it consumed 1 instance per 3 incoming VM backups
* Now, it consumes no instances at all

The reason is that with v10, Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise became a free feature of Veeam Availability Suite (with certain eligibility requirements).

Thanks!
srdegeus
Enthusiast

Post by srdegeus »

I ran the upgrade again (the one I rolled-back in the first post.)
And it is actually true that the license usage goes down to 0 after all the Backup Copy jobs are completed.

It does make me wonder what we have paid for (in the past) and why last december we were sold a 'true-up' of Cloud Connect VM licenses by our Veeam account manager (not a reseller, actually employed by Veeam with a @veeam.com email address.) As this Universal License introduced in v10 was already known on October, but we will invite him for an on-site visit to explain this in detail.
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

veremin wrote: Feb 27, 2020 3:50 pm Cloud Connect for Enterprise is now a free feature of Veeam Availability Suite (as long as you meet the entering requirements), so it should not consume any instances.

What you see is an upgrade procedure bug - due to different licensing logic (old and new ones) we cannot immediately drop the counters to zero, so, currently, it's the lasting process: a job runs, backup server lowers counter and so on. So, you can leave everything as is, and after some time the counters will be lowered to zero.

Thanks!
VCC-E is now free ? really ? what is the requirements ? in the past only customers with 100 sockets were eligibles and it was not free to use.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

AFAIK the concept stays largely the same, the environment should be fairly large to be eligible.