Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dmitryk8
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dmitriy

Move VBR server to Azure

Post by dmitryk8 »

Hello,

we are using VBR 9.5 (u4 now) for about a year, backuping several Hyper-V clusters and standalone servers. We have one VBR server and some repositories, including cloud connect. I am little confused by the fact that VBR server is running as VM on the same host where protected VMs located. So I'm considering to move the VBR to Azure (our organization already have site2site vpn).
Is there any best practices for running VBR in Azure? As I understand, VBR doesn't send/receive backup traffic - only management - is it completely true?
The simplest way, as I understand, is to use migration guide: https://www.veeam.com/kb1889
Or may be it is a not a good idea at all? Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Move VBR server to Azure

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Dmitriy!
Make sure to check location(should keep them on-prem) of Guest Interaction Proxy and repository-specific Gateway Servers, as well as Mount Servers after moving VBR Server away to keep on-prem traffic local to primary site.
/Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Dmitriy,

In addition to what Egor advised, in case you are planning to use application items restore capabilities, keep in mind that VBR mounts application restore points to the machine hosting VBR console (from where application restore is triggered).

So, you might also need to setup console on one of your on-premise servers to keep application restore traffic off Azure.
See this post.

Thanks,
Oleg
dmitryk8
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dmitriy

Post by dmitryk8 »

Thanks for answers, hope that my next post will be about success migration)