Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
phil435
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

Backup job dedupe and backup copy job

Post by phil435 »

Hello all. I am currently migrating our Veeam repository over to a Pure Storage SAN that does inline compression and deduplication. I am assuming that I may getting better results if I turn off all compression and dedupe when storing and let the SAN do the work on the backend. However, I have a few questions regarding this.

1. I have a backup proxy in place so can I keep inline dedupe and compression on when transferring over the network and then store as uncompressed and non de-deduped? I have the setting "Decompress data backup backup blocks before storing" checked. I assume this keeps compression on during network transfers and stores raw data on the storage at the cost of CPU on the Veeam server?

2. I have a backup copy job that moves the backup job offsite. If I turn off compression when storing as mentioned above, I assume that I need to change the backup copy job to something other than "Auto" on the compression so that the files are compressed when transferring offsite for less data transfer across the WAN?

Thanks for the help!
Sturniolo
Veeam Software
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Andy Sturniolo

Re: Backup job dedupe and backup copy job

Post by Sturniolo »

Hi Phil,

Great questions.... I would suggest taking a look at our best practices guide when it comes to deduplication Appliances... https://www.veeam.com/kb1745.

Andy
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup job dedupe and backup copy job

Post by PetrM »

Hi Phil,
phil435 wrote:I have a backup proxy in place so can I keep inline dedupe and compression on when transferring over the network and then store as uncompressed and non de-deduped?
You can keep compression enabled.
It makes sense to use "inline data deduplication" option if repository has a non deduplicated landing zone (as mentioned in the KB provided by Andy).

phil435 wrote:I assume this keeps compression on during network transfers and stores raw data on the storage at the cost of CPU on the Veeam server?
Yes, that's right. (as long as Veeam server has the role of gateway server)

phil435 wrote: I assume that I need to change the backup copy job to something other than "Auto" on the compression so that the files are compressed when transferring offsite for less data transfer across the WAN?
I'd suggest to use "Auto" compression to preserve compression settings of the copied backup file but you can select another level if you want reduce an amount of data being sent over the network.
By the way, you may take a look at WAN acceleration to minimize transmission of redundant data over slow WAN link.

Thanks!