Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Replication when sourve VM has OS problem

Post by adam900331 »

Hy.
I am new in replication process. I have a theoretically question. I have a replication job which is include a VM and replicate it every 30 minutes. The restore point is set to 10. What happens when the source VM has an OS level problem like blue screen? Does the Veeam detect it and stop the replication automatically? Or does the Veeam continue the replication and replicate the VM with the OS problem? If yes, the replicate VM latest restore point will be blue screen.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Replication when sourve VM has OS problem

Post by Mildur »

If you have enabled application aware processing, the replica job should give you an error, because vm is running but application aware is not working.

If you don‘t have application aware enabled, i think, veeam will replicated the changed disk blocks and ignore the vm state. Ifa snapshot can be done for the vm, then the vm state will be replicated.
A vm replica is always in a shutdown state. If you start the replica, the vm will boot up windows OS as usual.
The vm is not in a running state as the original.

You can use SureReplica jobs (vsphere only) to test your replicas when they are in good working state
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software