Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcafeej
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

ioSafe Server 5

Post by mcafeej »

Does anyone have running an ioSafe Server 5 for a Veeam B&R server? If so what has been your experience and any known issues?

I had a vendor recommend this product due to its fame for fire and water resistance, however not seen much in the way of google search for veeam & iosafe? Any experiences are appreciated!

https://iosafe.com/products/server-5/

I'm looking for a server that can backup around 8TB of data and less than 50 VM's.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: ioSafe Server 5

Post by soncscy »

Hey Jesse,

To be honest, I find this solution very suspect.

I'm sure it lives up to the hype with regards to Fire/Water resistance, but from my point of view, hardware failure is is more probable than water/fire damage.

From their site, it looks like you can present it as a Linux/Windows share, which is definitely a bonus as opposed to SMB/CIFS. If you can do iscsi, that's also good.

But, personally I'm just skeptical of their claim. I'm sure you could drag this NAS through the Mariana Trench and recover data, but what good is that if the drive itself drops independently of the harsh conditions it's been in?

Fast data replication between multiple storages is more important for me than the amount of abuse the chassis can take. Even if I were in a hurricane prone place like Florida, I'd still look into fast rotated drives and a waterproof safe before I looked at baking waterproofing into the storage appliance itself.
arcatlantic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Pozza

Re: ioSafe Server 5

Post by arcatlantic »

I can not speak for that product directly, but we currently use the ioSafe 214. More or less the same device just with updated harder and 10g nic options. We have had 0 issues with these devices they have been in service 3-4 years. I believe the drives shipped are the WD Red drives. The ioSafe 214 now 218 uses the Synology DSM software and can do everything Synology can if you so choose to do so. But yes it supports ISCSI.