Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

NEW Backup copy with HPE Storeonce repository

Post by rpop »

Hello,

I was enjoyed to test this new great feature so expected : the possibility to replicate a source "catalyst" repository to an target "catalyst" repository.

However, i am very surprised , indeed we backup all of our VMs on "landing zones" -> 1 week of retention (primary backup on 10k fast disk, 2k16 reFS volumes),
then we use this backup source in our copy jobs to send them to our storeonce. (Catalyst)

I just understand that I cannot exploit this feature (catalyst copy / replication) in my current backup strategy; it works only from backup job (not copy job)
It's a pity because the "copy job" has a vocation to be used for archiving (often with GFS) in general.
If I change the target on my backup jobs, and send them directly to my storeonce, my "primary" backup times will be much much slower (no reFS on storeonce :( )

I hope that Veeam will allow us one day to be able to use "catalyst copy/replication" with total agnostism about where the repository came from, backup or copy job.
Best regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: NEW Backup copy with HPE Storeonce repository

Post by Gostev »

Hello! As a matter of fact, Catalyst Copy was rushed into an earlier release (it was originally planned for the following release after v10), so it's a bit limited indeed because of that alone - but of course we'll be enhancing it based on the feedback. In general, it always helps to release limited functionality first, because this helps to get a feedback on what is truly important from what is missing. Thanks!
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

Re: NEW Backup copy with HPE Storeonce repository

Post by rpop »

Hello Gostev,

Ok got it, thanks for you reply !
Best regards