Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Is replication becoming obsolete?

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

With instant recovery and technologies advancing with every release is replication becoming obsolete?

We replicate daily from a backup copy job at our DR site. Besides replication running on Vsphere storage vs instant recovery running on backup storage, what's the difference? The time for instant recovery is negligible. I am looking at eliminating replication from our environment. In our future deployment, I am planning to not use replication. Should I be using replication in our future deployment?

At our datacenter we have 2 vSphere hosts connected to a SAN and a Veeam physical backup server.
At our DR site we have 1 vSphere host with local storage.

Current:
Backup Job to physical Veeam Server
Backup Copy Job to DR site
Replication Job at DR site from Backup Copy Job

Future:
Backup Job to physical Veeam Server
SOBR copy+move to AWS S3
*Should I be replicating?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Is replication becoming obsolete?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
to answer the question of your headline / title... no, not really. The next level of replication will be continuous replication to reduce RPO and RTO times.

The question is, what is your RPO and RTO time and what internet bandwidth you have. I mean, you will now run instant recovery over internet :-) I don't see the BCJ to DR-Site in your future view. While you can recover from replica without a backup server... you need a backup server for (instant) recovery. Setting up a backup server takes time, which brings me back to the initial RPO and RTO question.

Best regards,
Hannes