Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mknvl
Lurker
Liked: never

Automating Tape To Repository

Post by mknvl »

Hello!

We have Veeam B&R 9.5.u4 and a large number of LTO-5 tapes and we are migrating to LTO-8.

As some post here suggested, since 9.5.u4 does not have Tape To Tape functionality we are going to use Restore from Tape To Repository method and then will archive those repos to new tapes.

I was wondering whether there are any ways to automate this process? We have a lot of tapes and VMs, handling them manually would be quite painful.
I am currently browsing Veeam Powershell docs, but can't find any info on restore to repo automation.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Automating Tape To Repository

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Tape restore cmdlets are under "Obsolete" section, and recommended to be avoided. They might work with current version, but no guarantee given as it is very case specific.
It is best to use VBR UI in your case.
Noted your +1 for Tape2Tape jobs, though!
/Thanks!
john.aubrey
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: John Aubrey

Post by john.aubrey »

We are just setting up v10 from scratch at my company. This is exactly the type of PowerShell command we need. Is there a reason it is being obsoleted and not being replaced by a similar one?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is just Powershell cmdlets development had a slight lag with this part and new ones were not included into release. We will update those with one of the following updates.
Since your case is a 1-time migration between tape generations, you can just download 9.5u4(my.veeam.com -> Products -> Previous Versions) and perform a scripted move with Powershell. Afterwards, inventory\catalog new tapes from v10 server.
/Thanks!
john.aubrey
Enthusiast

Post by john.aubrey »

so there will be a supported powershell cmdlet in the future that does a tape to disk restore?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Of course obsolete tape-to-disk restore cmdlet will be updated. Cannot provide timelines, but it is tracked to be done.
/Cheers!
john.aubrey
Enthusiast

Post by john.aubrey » 2 people like this post

That is great to. We want to automate some stuff, but don't want to put a bunch of work into it if 1 part of the script won't be around and there won't be a replacement.

BTW We just finished a trial of Veeam, and it's night and days better then DPM. I am so happy to be moving over to Veeam.