Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

v10 file backup proxy traffic throttling

Post by Robvil »

Hi,

I´m doing a backup on a nas share via a vpn connection which works fine, but the traffic throttling i have applied (10Mbps) during working hours do not apply. It is running at maximum wan speed.
It is configured the same way as my existing throttling doing Backup Copy to a remote NAS, just with another remote ip subnet, and this works just fine.

Do traffic throttling work with NAS file share backup?

Regards
Robert
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: v10 file backup proxy traffic throttling

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robert,

Does not look expected - throttling rules should be applied across all Veeam B&R components. Can you please raise a support case and share the case ID with me? Thank you in advance!
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil »

I was thinking about and remembered a old case a had regarding throttling in O365 and the explanation was:

To begin with, the Bandwidth limitation feature in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 works on an application layer of the Windows operating system, in other words, the software does not have control over the NIC which could allow us to limit the bandwidth on the fly.
Instead, the limitation is performed in the following way:
-Once the Backup Job starts transferring data, the proxy service performs the download utilizing all of the possible bandwidth.
-The download continues for 1 minute straight. After this period of 60 seconds, the Proxy service puts the Backup Job download into "sleep".
-Based on how much data was transferred during this minute and judging from what is the bandwidth limit, the proxy service keeps job in a "sleep" state for the specific amount of time. In the end, the Bandwidth devided by the 60 seconds + the time Job spent in "sleep" will be equal to the Bytes per Second specified in the Bandwidth Limit options. In order to check this, we need to look for the Processing rate after the end of the backup job - the over all processing rate per second should not be bigger than the Bytes per second specified in the Bandwidth Limit options.

Bacause it is many smaller files on the NAS full bandwidth will be utilized, i guess. That´s what i see with O365 service.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Backup for O365 implements throttling in a completely different way though... so this is not relevant.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Robert,

In Veeam B&R throttling rules are applied to the proxy <> repository connections, so the amount set as source for backup job of files should not be the case. Please raise a support case, share the case and I'll QA folks to review your debug logs to understand the root cause. Thank you!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Robvil wrote: Mar 04, 2020 3:11 pm I´m doing a backup on a nas share via a vpn connection which works fine, but the traffic throttling i have applied (10Mbps) during working hours do not apply. It is running at maximum wan speed.
It is configured the same way as my existing throttling doing Backup Copy to a remote NAS, just with another remote ip subnet, and this works just fine.
It's not completely clear to me, do you have a file proxy on the same side of the VPN as the NAS share or is the file proxy on the local side of the VPN and the NAS share on the remote side?