Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cdf
Novice
Liked: never

Replication changes the VM UUID

Post by cdf »

I'm using 5.0.2 for replication. After a replication job completes, the UUID of the VM changes. I've been told by support that this is normal.

This is causing problems for me and I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same thing. I'm backing up my VMs with Commvault and monitoring them with Opmanager. Both of these apps apparently keep track of VMs by the UUID, which essentially causes these two apps to lose track of the VMs.

Generically speaking, does anyone else use apps that have problems with a changing UUID or did I just get lucky with this combination?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Replication changes the VM UUID

Post by Gostev »

In VMware, it is simply not possible to have two VMs in the infrastructure with the same UUID. Nor it is possible to "set" UUID to the desired value (well, anything is possible, but this would require some hacks).
cdf
Novice

Post by cdf »

The fact that the source VMs UUID changes is what's causing the problem. What's changing on the source VM to cause the UUID to change?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This cannot be right, replication job does not touch source VMs (aside of snapshot). Generally speaking, all Veeam jobs are "read-only" to original VMs, they never modify any of the production VM's settings. Why would we do that, there is simply no reason to update anything on the source VM?
cdf
Novice

Post by cdf »

Your support department is telling me the changing UUID is the way it's supposed to work. I too think this should never happen. Here's a quote from David in your support department. Ticket ID#5141909.

"The UUID's are changed as part of the VMWare processing.
If the VMs are not processed in any way (that includes processing by Veeam), then the UUIDs will remain unchanged.

Please note that it's the processing that changes the UUID's.
The UUID's are used as Reference IDs to distinguish them from others (even from themselves...as when they are processed/changed in any way).

I hope this helps clarify the issue.

Thanks,
David Gillespie
Veeam Software Support"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This does not look like correct reply, or may be you are talking about different things. I have asked support team lead to take a closer look at this case, I am sure he will be in contact with you soon. Thanks.
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Hi Chris,

I want to confirm this is not accurate, and I apologize for the incorrect information. We do not edit this value ever on the source side. The only piece we ever adjust (optionally) would be Change Block Tracking settings which have no bearing on UUID. I'll be working to get you an update via your case also, as this behavior of UUID changing on the source side is quite strange without manual intervention of some kind. Thanks