Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
holladiewaldfee
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Agent for Linux not working after reinstall Backup & Replication Server

Post by holladiewaldfee »

After upgrading my Backup & Replication Server from 9.5 to 10 it stopped working. It was not possible to start the Backup & Replication Console.
I reinstalled the Backup & Replication Server but the same happened again. After several times i installed the Backup & Replication Server in a new Database and now it's working again.

I started a new Backup Repository and uninstall on all VM's (Windows and Linux) the Agents. After that i installed the Agent's again via Backup & Repository Console.

With the Windows Agent's it's working great. With the Linux Agent not.

If i uninstall the Veeam Agents with "apt-get remove veeam veeamsnap" and add them again in the Backup & Repository then i can make exactly one Backup.

After this i geht the following message in the Backup & Repository Console:

Skipping 10.10.10.55 Details: This backup agent is managed by the Backup server APPL.xyz.intra, ignoring control request from APPL.xyz.intra

On the Linux Machine i can see all the old Logs and the old Backup Job. If i try to delete the connection to the Backup & Replication Server with "veeamconfig repository delete -id xyz" i geht this message "This operation is not permitted if management mode is [Policy]."

And this happend to all my Linux VMs.

It looks like i big bug... does anybody has an idea?
holladiewaldfee
Novice

Re: Veeam Agent for Linux not working after reinstall Backup & Replication Server

Is it possible to delete the Veeam Agent for Linux completely?
Via "apt-get remove veeam veeamsnap" the Configuration files still on the server...
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam Agent for Linux not working after reinstall Backup & Replication Server

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Try “apt-get purge veeam veeamsnap”. This should remove it all.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
holladiewaldfee
Novice

thx, that worked for me. First i uninstalled the Agent with "purge" and then i rescanned the inventory in Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
JeroenV
Lurker
Full Name: Jeroen Vanderheyden

Post by JeroenV »

Hi, I'm also having a problem with the Linux agent but a different type and I can't open a case since for some reason, my trial isn't registered as active.
Every time I want to run a backup since upgrading, I get the error 'Not a valid network mask.' and when going through the logs, I see 'Failed to parse network mask [ffff:ffff:ffff:ffe0::]' but I don't have any interface with that mask.

Any chance someone has an idea for this?
The purge option removed settings too but didn't help unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

@JeroenV - you should be able to create a support case under free product if for some reason the trial fails but this issue doesn't look the same as the OP so please contact support and let us know the support case ID.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
JeroenV
Lurker
Full Name: Jeroen Vanderheyden

Post by JeroenV »

@Niels My apologies, I didn't see that option so I didn't know any other option than posting here.
My case ID is 04052586.
DJREMIXED
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Chaney

Post by DJREMIXED »

I fixed this myself.
Had to log into the host having agent issues and uninstall Veeam Agent completely by running
apt-get purge veeam veeamsnap
Then go into Veeam Console Inventory, Physical Infrastructure, Manually Added
Then Right click Agent, go to Agent in the drop down and choose uninstall components
Then once done, right click go to Agent and install Agent
Then delete any backup jobs you made for this Agent
Then create a new backup job and it would finally backup

Task failed. Error: Failed to execute agent management command print. sudo: veeamconfig: command not found