Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Need to exclude /storage/archive/ from diskspace alerting

Post by mikeely »

The above partition (on our vSphere server) is alerting for zero free space in Veeam ONE. This is annoying because per VMWare this partition is intended to run at 100% utilization:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57829

Don't get me wrong, deliberately running a partition at 100% usage seems stupid to me even for the reasons they've given, but that's what it is. From Veeam One Monitor infrastructure view I can see how to do any number of things to this VM including such inadvisables as rebooting it, but I cannot see how to exclude this guaranteed-to-be-full partition from diskspace monitoring.

Help?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Need to exclude /storage/archive/ from diskspace alerting

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify: excluding "Guest disk space" alarm for the VM does not help you? (right click on VM -> alarms -> exclude) You only want to exclude one disk?

I would copy the "Guest disk free space" alarm rule (alarms section) and combine several "Guest disk free space" (Rule for specific conditions or state) together in one alarm. The default is *, you you could change it to all
disks /dev/sda /dev/sdb etc.

Then you assign that alarm to the VM (right-click -> alarms -> assign)

Does that help?

Best regards,
Hannes
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

I can try... but I'd think that given Veeam specializes specifically in backing up VMWare infra (at least 50% of your install base right?) and that everybody who runs VSphere server is going to have this quirk, perhaps Veeam could template this into the product?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mike,
Veeam provides data availability for physical and virtual platforms, including vSphere. I cannot remember other feedback about such a vSphere server alarm.
As Hannes mentioned, you can exclude VM or disk from the alarm.
Thanks!
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

We still need to monitor disk usage, just not that specific partition on that specific VM. One could easily make the argument that this feature need is much more general than just vSphere servers.

As to /storage/archive filling up, this is per KB 57829 how VMWare does it. Whether somebody has come in here about it before or not does not mean it's not happening elsewhere.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You can exclude the VM from existing predefined alarm and create another alarm to monitor all guest disks, except the mentioned one.
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

The VM has thirteen disks (I didn't set this up because obviously that's also stupid). Are you saying I need to create a template that specifically enumerates all the disks to monitor? Seems more logical to set up an alarm that says "follow the standard disk monitoring template EXCEPT for this."
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 4 people like this post

There is an easy way. You can navigate to the summary page of the VM in question, and click "View all disks..." and then choose the disk you want to suppress alarms for.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

[MERGED] Incorrect "low guest disk space" alert

Post by pufferdude »

Veeam Monitor has started alerting me that one disk (/storage/archive) on my vCenter appliance is almost full. This is technically correct (it is in fact almost full) but according to this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57829 it is a known and expected state of the appliance.

My issue is that there seems to be no way to suppress this in Veeam Monitor without making it ignore ALL disks on the vCenter. Is there an option I'm missing where it could be told to ignore JUST this one disk? Alternatively, does VeeamOne need to be modified to automatically ignore this vCenter disk, since (presumably) anyone else running a vCenter appliance will be seeing the same "alert"?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I merged your question with the solution above. Just suppress the alarm for guest disk space on the VCenter.

Best regards,
Hannes
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

Perfect, thanks! Sorry I didn't find this thread when I searched before posting ;-)
MFortezaP
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Miquel Forteza

Post by MFortezaP » 1 person likes this post

Shestakov wrote: Jun 20, 2019 10:27 am There is an easy way. You can navigate to the summary page of the VM in question, and click "View all disks..." and then choose the disk you want to suppress alarms for.
Great!!! it works in my case, tks a lot.

M
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

[MERGED] Veeam ONE Linux Guest disk space/folder alerting

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi
We have an issue where a Linux VM which is a vCenter VCSA appliance is alerting for /storage/archive being low on space. This folder is intentionally almost always full, by VMware design. We want to exclude it from Veeam ONE monitoring. I thought there was a way to exclude a Linux folder for a Veeam ONE object, but I can't seem to find it now. Is this possible, or did I imagine it?
We don't want to exclude the whole VM because it is critical to monitor the other folders/disks.
We also don't want to duplicate the alarm and configure it to monitor specific disks. This would cause 2 issues:
1. We would have 2 alarms to maintain.
2. It would be moving to an 'include' model rather than an 'exclude' model. We want to exclude 1 disk/folder, not include all the others. If we moved to 'include' model and VMware add a disk or something in the future we would not automatically start monitoring it, which is bad. Exclude model is always better for monitoring things like this.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what about the way shown above?

Best regards,
Hannes
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry »

Yes, thanks, the comment from Shestakov is what I was looking for/couldn't remember where/how to do it in Veeam ONE. I feel that there should be better documentation around this feature in Veeam ONE as I failed to find anything. As the previous poster mentions, this is something that a lot of your customer base should need, so surprising that there are not more posts about this and not more accessible info about it?
Thanks