Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kr.juric
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kresimir Juric

Setting up cross-connected repositories with auto-sync

Post by kr.juric »

Hello, I have scenario:
Company has 2 sites with VMware hosts in each, connected with 1 GB fiber.
VBR 9.5 is on VM on one host, but will pickup VMs from both and store backup to local NetSwap/NetFrame device (2 of those, one in each location - DR solution).
NetSwaps will have each 2 disks, and they can auto-sync them.
Location1: host 1, VM1...3, NetSwap1 with disk0 and disk1
Location2: host 2, VM4...6, NetSwap2 with disk2 and disk3
VBR 9.5 runs on VM6 has two jobs:
job1 - VM1...3 are backed to NetSwap1-disk0 and simoultaneously to other location NetSwap2-disk3
job2 - VM4...5 are backed to NetSwap1-disk2 and simoultaneously to other location NetSwap1-disk1

so backup job stores backup in same name folders on NetSwap disks, and each Netswap has auto-sync so they are synced upon job completion.
that way I would have local and remote copies of both locations.

Is this correct? Can I have Veeam backup job simoultaneously store same backup files to two different targets ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Setting up cross-connected repositories with auto-sync

Post by veremin »

Since backup server knows nothing about auto-sync process, there won't be any collision in such scenario.

However, auto-sync does not perform storage-level corruption check, so, if source backup gets corrupted, it will be transferred to second device as is.

Thus, my recommendation would be to check backup copy job, may be, instead of using auto-sync feature you can create backup copy jobs and point those to the second device.

Thanks!