Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Shieik
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

2 Sites and 2 VBR? central management?

Post by Shieik »

Hi All!

Recently we mount a new infrastructure on a different city and we are thinking about what to do with Veeam, wich we have installed on Site 1.

Both sites will be connected via VPLS but i dont know how long.

For now, i will connect the new infra (new repos) to VBR server on site1 and do all jobs onhost in site2, so VBR will do job scheduler, and the backup traffic wont go out of site2

But, what happen if VPLS go to hell? all jobs on infra on site2 will fail...

So, the best will be to build a new VBR server on site 2 and connect to all site2 infra and do the jobs of site2 on the new VBR and the jobs of site1 in the old VBR?
This VBR server can be on V10? (actual VBR on V9.5U3 update pending....)
Can share repositories? (i suppose this is YES but in same VBR build)

There is some way of manage centrally the 2 VBRs servers? or i will have 2 standalone VBR servers?

I hope the questions are understandable.... sorry about the english :D

An in advance, thanks!!!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: 2 Sites and 2 VBR? central management?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think you're right and the easiest option is to deploy the new VBR instance on the second site, import backups and map jobs if VPLS is down.

One more option is to perform configuration backup to the remote site and restore configuration on the site 2 if the link between sites is broken.
The main disadvantage of such approach is that configuration backup will not be available on the site 1 in case of the issue with VPLS.

You may take a look at Enterprise Manager which allows management of several VBR instances.

Thanks!
Shieik
Influencer

Post by Shieik »

Thanks, thats what i thought.

The option of restore in site2 it doesnt work here because then i will not be able to do backups on site1

The question now is if 2 VBRs with differente builds can coexist on the enterprise manager. We use Instance licensing and with the last changes to licenses im not clear if i will have some kind of problem in the old VBR server if i use the new licenses on the new VBR server.

In support say "Install the same product version on the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager server and Veeam backup servers. If you use different versions of Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and Veeam Backup & Replication, you may not be able to leverage all features in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager." so i think this wont work...

So, options are:

Update old VBR server to V10 and instal de new VBR server on V10 to, then attach to enterprise manager
Install de new VBR server on V9.5U3 and attach to enterprise manager, then having 2 VBR server with pending update...

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd recommend to opt for the first option and to use the most recent version for each deployment.

the option of restore in site2 it doesnt work here because then i will not be able to do backups on site1
If I understood correctly, VBR instance is already deployed on the site 1. Did I miss something?

Thanks!
Shieik
Influencer

Post by Shieik »

Yes, actual VBR is on site1
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Thanks for clarification! So you will have 2 VBR instances after restore on the site 2 is done and every instance can manage backups on its site.

On the other hand, I think it might be a serious problem once the link is up again: both servers will trigger jobs on both sites against the same scope of objects and using the same infrastructure components. Restore from configuration backup is definitely bad idea for such case.

Thanks!
Shieik
Influencer

Post by Shieik »

Mmmm it was misunderstood.

The idea is to mount a new VBR instance on site 2 to manage backups of site 2, not restore de VBR instace on site 1 to site 2.

What im consulting to Veeam is if i can have 2 instances with differente build version with instance licensing, thinking about it it should be posible because i will have 2 Enterprise manager, 1 with old license and other with new license and i will reporte to whoiesaler the sumatory of boths

Better we will install a 9.5U4, V10 is too new...
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

I don't see a reason to have 2 Enterprise Manager servers because the main duty of Enterprise Manager is to provide management of multiple VBR instances from a single console.

I believe that the best option is to install the second VBR instance on the site 2 and to use the most recent version 10 as there are performance improvements and new features.

Thanks!