Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tonyella
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Ella

NT4 domain

Post by tonyella »

Folks,

I'm in the middle of a proposal to virtualise an NT4 domain - initially to remove legacy hardware with a view to migrating services and eventually replacing these VM's with windows 2008.

I understand that Veeam will support NT4 sp6 as a guest operating system but are there any limitations around what we can achieve? File level restore would be a minimum requirement.

Could we replicate these VM's?

Has anyone out there gone through this and could impart any information - it would be gratefully received.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: NT4 domain

Post by foggy »

Tony, Veeam B&R supports any OS supported by VMware, so there will be no issues with backing up, replicating, and restoring Windows NT machines. However, keep in mind that there were no VSS in Windows NT, so application-aware image processing is not supported in this case (still you will be able to use VMware Tools quiescence to perform file system consistent backups of those VMs).
tonyella
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Ella

Re: NT4 domain

Post by tonyella »

foggy wrote:Tony, Veeam B&R supports any OS supported by VMware, so there will be no issues with backing up, replicating, and restoring Windows NT machines. However, keep in mind that there were no VSS in Windows NT, so application-aware image processing is not supported in this case (still you will be able to use VMware tools quiescence to perform file system consistent backups of those VMs).
Foggy - thanks for the quick reply.

This is what I thought. So basically I just have to watch out for open files on their NT4 file servers. They have Notes and SQL both on Windows 2003 so I should be OK there.

Looking forward to trying this out in the forthcoming weeks!