Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pstilber
Influencer
Liked: never

Feature Request: Add Daily option to GFS retention policy for VMware Backup

Post by pstilber »

I'd like to run hourly backups during business hours to better cover my users during the workday, with a synthetic full at the end of the day for retention purposes. I would like that full to then be copied to my capacity tier immediately, moved to the capacity tier after X number of days, and deleted after reaching the capacity tier retention policy.
I currently see no way to do this since the GFS retention policy available for a VMware Backup only offers weeks, months, and years. Am I missing something?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: Add Daily option to GFS retention policy for VMware Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you can just activate daily synthetic fulls in the synthetic full schedule. The GFS setting just keeps backups created by the synthetic / active full schedule. It does not create any new ones.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 -> the "days" button

Best regards,
Hannes
pstilber
Influencer

Post by pstilber »

How does the data offload process know to only offload the fulls?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

offload can only move inactive chains... https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
pstilber
Influencer

Post by pstilber »

I know that. How does your suggestion satisfy my request in the original post? As far as I'm aware, your suggestion creates the daily, but both daily and hourly backups are going to be copied to the capacity tier.
HannesK wrote: Mar 18, 2020 6:39 am The GFS setting just keeps backups created by the synthetic / active full schedule. It does not create any new ones.
That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and why I am asking for the Daily option to be added to the GFS retention policy for VMware Backups. The option is there for tape backups.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

How does your suggestion satisfy my request in the original post
as far as I see 100%. yes, it also copies the increments. but it meets the request as far as I see.
but both daily and hourly backups are going to be copied to the capacity tier.
correct. my answer was about your "offload" question. I understood "offload" as "move" (sorry for the misunderstanding)
That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and why I am asking for the Daily option to be added to the GFS retention policy for VMware Backups.
it's already there. just in a different configuration window (I hope I understood you right)

please note that the "copy mode" on repository level always copies everything to capacity tier. it's not like a backup copy job where you have tons of options. it's a simple "copy" / "move" / "copy & move" policy