Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

What better strategy to improve backup performance?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

i have four vmware host.

two hosts in cluster A and two in another cluster B, but using the same vcenter.

The "Veem" server is also the proxy and is located on one of the cluster B hosts.

The repository is an IOMEGA presented via iSCSI for the virtual server Veem on a 1G network.

The volume is formatted with ReFS and 64K blocks.

Native deduplication is enabled on the JOB.

There are 20 servers with small disks (~100GB).

I realize that the backup when it runs on the VMs in the same cluster B is fast, but when it runs on cluster A it takes too long.

If I add a proxy in cluster A and keep the proxy in cluster B do I help with data processing / transfer?

If so, what proxy configuration can I use? Is there an appliance version of Veem?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: What better strategy to improve backup performance?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
everything you describe looks expected. I assume that your ESXi hosts also have only 1G network connection.

Yes, a proxy on the second cluster probably improves speed. You can use Windows (including core edition) or Linux as proxy. Please see user guide for more details

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: What better strategy to improve backup performance?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sandro, indeed, your cluster A backups are currently using network transport mode while cluster B benefits from hotadd. You can check the job bottleneck stats to make sure the primary bottleneck for cluster A backups is source. If you set up virtual proxies on cluster A, this will enable hotadd there as well.