Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cfizz34
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Chad

Any PURE array customers out there?

Post by cfizz34 »

I'm looking for any fellow PURE array customers that are utilizing the hardware based snapshots for building out a virtual lab and trying to get some suggestions on how to set it up so that it doesn't impact production vm guests.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Any PURE array customers out there?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
you don't need to search for pure storage users. The setup for virtual lab is the same on all storage systems

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

- setup virtual lab
- setup application group "from storage snapshot"
- create SureBackup job

Best regards,
Hannes
cfizz34
Expert

Post by cfizz34 »

But doesn't it compare whats in the storage array snapshot to the actual running VM and take a vmware snapshot for this comparison?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No... I'm not really sure what functionality are you talking about, but Veeam has never done anything like that. Why would the content ever be the same anyway, if VM keeps running between storage and VM snapshots, which can never be created at the same exact moment due to unpredictable API command execution time?
cfizz34
Expert

Post by cfizz34 »

After using this a bit more I agreed with your response and it does not do anything with the prod/source server when spinning up the snapshot. Now if they could only get advanced multi option working again I could put this puppy to bed.
cfizz34
Expert

Post by cfizz34 »

So my issue is now that Advanced Multi host does not work with SureBackup the way I was hoping it would. I wish I could use snapshots with replica's since that actually does allow you to use multiple hosts (unlike SureBackup) and distribute the VM's to the clustered hosts but it wants to take a snapshot of the production VM and I don't want it to do that. I don't have the same options in a replica job like I do in a SureBackup job.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

So my issue is now that Advanced Multi host does not work with SureBackup the way I was hoping it would.
what exactly do you mean? SureBackup in Advanced Multi-Host configuration does not work with V10 right now. After your answer above, I believed that you know, that it's a known bug (which will be fixed).
I wish I could use snapshots with replica's
Veeam replication is storage independent. But you can use Veeam replicas in for virtual lab (assuming you don't use V10)
but it wants to take a snapshot of the production VM and I don't want it to do that
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. SureBackup detects the latest storage snapshot. That does not require a VM snapshot of the production VM.
cfizz34
Expert

Post by cfizz34 »

SureBackup is great if you only want to use one ESXi host. It does NOT distribute the vm's across the various hosts in the cluster since the storage is only presented to the host where the proxy is located. I am using the bugfix released for V10. Support stated I can only use replica's to truly distribute across the clustered hosts.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

storage is only presented to the host where the proxy is located
thanks, good point. I forgot about that. sorry for my misleading answer before