Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Best practice for Update to V10

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,
We currently have an installation of Veeam B&R 9.5U4b, with a main server and 4 Proxy Servers.
In total we've 55 JOBs, of which 15 are weekly or monthly. Of the 55 we've 14 jobs that use Veeam Agent Backup (others VMware).
Daily we backup 1.2 TB only of VMs. Unfortunately I can't extract the data related to the backup with Agent, but they are different TB daily,
because we save Exchange, several SQL, and 16 FileServers.
We're planning to upgrade to version 10, but we'd like to proceed as cautiously as possible.
The idea was to create new virtual servers where to install v10, and to import the last save of the configuration of the current version.
This would also allow us to have Veeam servers with a recent operating system.
Do you see any contraindications, something we should pay attention to, and suggestions for this "update"?

Thanks for the help.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Best practice for Update to V10

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Gianluca,

It's good to have configuration backup, but you also need to upgrade database. So I would suggest to make a backup of your database and VBR server prior to upgrade and then perform the upgrade of production server.
Don't forget to upgrade Veeam ONE first if you use it.
Thanks
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello Nikita,
sorry... forgot to say that the DB is located on an external SQL server.
I thought of creating a new instance, not to touch the current one. Contraindications?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just a bit higher upgrade overhead. It is common to perform an in-place upgrade of the Veeam B&R server, including the OS itself. Just make sure you have configuration backup and backup of the VM itself on the off-chance.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

but wouldn't it be easier to have new cars? because in case of problems there would be time to analyze and correct, while if I update the production I've "a few" hours to do it. And if it doesn't work, I've to go back. With the problem of the DB which is on an external SQL, where therefore I should do a restore at the SQL level.
This is why my idea of doing it on other machines.
An OS update on the same machine, even if feasible, isn't like having a clean server (created with the new OS).
However, I appreciate any criticism of what I'd like to do, and any suggestions.

Thanks a lot
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Gianluca, your considerations make sense, so you are free to chose whatever approach better fits your situation.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

Hello Gianluca.

I agree with Foggy that your strategy makes sense. In fact, I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in (or would it be "I'm in the same car you're in" :wink: ).

It strikes that either path, i.e. stay with "old cars" or go with "new cars", can be fraught with peril. For me, I'll be going with new cars; who doesn't like a new car?

In preparation for the v10 upgrade, I'm currently reviewing our Veeam server infrastructure, reading forum posts, reviewing documentation, and making a plan - all as best as I'm able.

One observation I have is that Veeam does quite a good job of making upgrades/new installs pretty easy and painless (thanks Veeam!). I've hit a speedbump or two along these roads but they've been resolved quickly.

At some point in this process I'll need to say to myself: "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!"

Good luck and please post your results.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello all,
I can guarantee that what is written above and above all my thoughts on a new machine isn't because of a lack of confidence in Veeam and its developers/support, on the contrary.
I too have dealt with updates, and all with extreme ease when compared to other products.
I can't say that even a child could do it, but if we really compare it to rivals, it could also happen.
I say this as a compliment, because I trust and appreciate the excellent work that the company's employees do.
Furthermore, my question wasn't to look for an alibi for the type of update, but only to know favorable and contrary points in this action, and above all to know if there are "delicate" passages where I must pay particular attention or that I must evaluate/plan well.

Writing this, for example, I get a question. We've 25 servers where the Agent is installed. Aside from one case, everything else is managed by the server. By making a backup of the old one and then a restore (import) of the configuration on the new server, will I already find these servers in my inventory?
With the various steps from U4 to U4a, and then to U4b, it wasn't mandatory to update the client, even if recommended (clearly). I hope it's the same with 10.

As I said, I'm not asking for an alibi for a new installation, but only to know if I will go against a wall, and how to avoid or get around the wall. :-)

Thanks for the help and any suggestions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Upon configuration restore to the new server, you will get everything you had on the old instance.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Post by aich365 »

GianLuca

We have upgraded our infrastructure here as a VCSP. In addition we have upgraded some of our larger customers.
As noted above -
Backup Veeam Database, Backup Config, Upgrade VeeamOne First, then upgrade VBR.

We had issues where Veeam could not find the old installation to uninstall/upgrade and support had to assist manually coping the old install files to the server.
We got stuck with parts of 9.5.4b and parts of V10

With customers with Veeam Agent we have had to install Agents and Transports manually in some cases.

Your idea of a new install makes perfect sense.
Good Luck
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Thanks a lot Clive for your reply, and all have written me.
If there are other testimonies, they're welcome, to the benefit of the whole community :D