Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Permissions for guest indexing

Post by TaylorB »

I am trying to enable indexing of guest files on a few of my windows file servers. This asks for credentials to the Windows VMs. I cannot find a specific reference to guest indexing permissions in the normal permissions guide that Veeam has published. I don't want to just enable admin rights, obviously. So is there a list of the exact permissions level needed, or a built in windows role that will work? Can I just enable read only to all? Backup operator?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Permissions for guest indexing

Post by veremin »

Check the requirements mentioned here, and ask additional questions (if any are left). Thanks!
TaylorB
Enthusiast

Post by TaylorB »

Thanks. I did read that first, but it does not mention anything about guest indexing of files. It just talks about permissions needed to install, and the permission for the in guest processing for SQL, Exhange, sharepoint, oracle and AD.

The guide for guest indexing mentions starting an index process inside the VM, which makes me think it needs more than just file access.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Taylor, you should have local administrator permissions on the VM for indexing since data is captured directly from MFT.
TaylorB
Enthusiast

Post by TaylorB »

Was hoping for a little lighter permissions, but at least I have an answer. Thank you.
sgd_stf
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by sgd_stf »

About the fact that to index the files veeam has to have local administrator right granted...
I have to ask to someone in my organization to grant this rights to veeam, Is there some documentation where this is clearly described?
Thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can refer to this page.