PowerShell script exchange
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

v10 File share to tape -- best way to get specific folders?

Post by soncscy »

Hi all,

Just have been playing around with v10 and the new FileShares with Powershell, and just have a small curiosity -- is there a way to retrieve specific folders underneath an SMB file share for the FileToTape jobs?

With New-VBRFiletoTapeObject, it looks like the -NASServer command doesn't really have a way to specify paths underneath the root path added as the file share. I poked around to see what Get-VBRNASServer returned and couldn't seem to find a way to get it to check paths directly either, just all or nothing.

This is just a bit confusing for me as we "can" pick individual folders from the UI, so I know Veeam can handle it.

Is this just a PS limitation at this time or am I missing something obvious? :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: v10 File share to tape -- best way to get specific folders?

Post by veremin »

- Tape jobs currently do not support NAS backup policies
- Therefore, two sets of cmdlets are not connected to each other
- To back up files residing on share to tape you need to use file to tape job
- To specify source objects to file to tape job use New-VBRFileToTapeObject cmdlet and specify -Path parameter (path the target file share)

Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hi Vladimir,

Well, understood, but thanks for the reminder :)

But I'm confused a bit then.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

This lists two option for the new-vbrfiletotapeobject: -Server and -NASBAckup

-Server has the -Path argument and if this is what I'm supposed to do, I cannot seem to figure out how to tell it about my share.

e.g.:

If I try to specify the Veeam Server as -Server and feed an SMB path for -Path, I get:

Code: Select all

$server = Get-VBRServer -Name 'Veeam Server'
New-VBRFileToTapeObject -Server $server -Path '\\123.45.67.78\some-directory'
New-VBRFileToTapeObject : Failed to create file to tape job object. [b]The specified is invalid[/b]: \\123.45.67.78\some-directory
At line:1 char:1
(Pretty sure there's a typo there too ;) )

Veeam sees this path just fine for SMB File Shares everywhere else so I'm pretty confident there's no connection issue here, -Path just doesn't want an SMB path I think.

So I was trying it with -NASServer, which works, but I can only use the root level path that's part of the share. I'm not able to specify -Path with -NASShare (they seem mutually exclusive), so I'm not quite sure how to do what you're saying or what I'm missing.

What I need is occasional one-off Tape Backups of SMB share folders that exist under the common share root, but are temporary folders that don't need to be there permanently. The directory will change constantly (project folders), so while I can just keep adding and removing File Shares to Inventory, it's a bit tedious.

From the UI, I can do this just fine and backup only a certain folder from under an SMB File Share, but would prefer to have a powershell way for this.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Harvey,

You don't need server IP in the path if you have already passed a server object to -Server parameter.
Try passing a full path inside the server instead of going with UNC formatting.
Example:

Code: Select all

$server = Get-VBRServer -Name 'Veeam Server'
New-VBRFileToTapeObject -Server $server -Path 'C:\Temp\FilesToBackup'
Should do the trick.

Best regards,
Oleg