Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

How does the backup type work?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I created a task to make the backup keeping all the default options.

the first backup is always complete and the next ones will be incremental.

In what situation is it necessary to perform a full backup again?

Will this new full backup replace the previous one?

To perform the full backup is the option (Active Full)?

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How does the backup type work?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings!
- Stick to Forever Forward Incremental backup whenever you can.
- Unless there is a particular business reason to have a periodic Full backup, you don't have to use them.
- Fresh Full backup is 100% independent from previous restore points, and starts a new backup chain.
- Yes, to perform periodic full backup use Active\Synthetic option in job settings. Note that by enabling periodic Full backups your chain will change it's type to normal Forward Incremental, thus rotating Retention differently than Forever Forward chain.
/Thanks!
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

grateful for the answer.

I will simulate a scenario to confirm my conceptual understanding:

- I configured a daily backup with 7 recovery points.
- The first one he will do full;
- The next ones will do incremental;

Using this configuration I will always have 7 possibilities in the timeline according to the period configured in the schedule.

Whenever the seventh recovery point is finished, will it replace the first one?

In this process of "merge" of the incrementals, how is the state of the full backup since you said that it is independent of the incremental backup?

If I perform a full backup after a first full backup, will the occupation of that new full backup be doubled in the repository?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

When the number of restore points in the chain will reach 7, the oldest increment will be merged into the full backup each time after the new restore point is created. If you create a new full (either manually or by schedule), it will start a new independent chain of subsequent increments, the old chain will be subject to retention. New full will take the same amount of space as the previous one (well, at least comparable) unless you use deduplication or ReFS/XFS on target.
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I'm trying to understand, because I'm used to another solution.

The merge I know the process and I understand process.

My concern now is with the complete, this chain you mention has not been fully clarified.

If I have a complete and I am doing merges and at some point I do another complete, I understand that:

- I'll have to double the space;
To mitigate if I haven't cleared the deduplication option in JOB I understand that it is deduplicating. I formatted my volume with 64K block and formatted with ReFS (without dedup). What is the relationship between Veem's native deduplication and ReFS? When you quote ReFS is it because I could use the ReFS dedup?

- Now I understand the chain you quote.
I have an add-on, I have seven incremental recovery points, and I ran a full new one. Shouldn't the old full backup be merged with the one that already existed? If I made a new complete, does that mean that the next incrementals will not be merged with the seven existing recovery points? In other words, will a new incremental chain be created with seven more recovery points? I will have 14 recovery points (seven from chair 1 and seven more from chair 2).

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What is the relationship between Veem's native deduplication and ReFS? When you quote ReFS is it because I could use the ReFS dedup?
Here are more details on what Veeam B&R inline deduplication is. I didn't mean it when mentioned deduplication but actual deduplication on the target storage.
I have an add-on, I have seven incremental recovery points, and I ran a full new one. Shouldn't the old full backup be merged with the one that already existed? If I made a new complete, does that mean that the next incrementals will not be merged with the seven existing recovery points? In other words, will a new incremental chain be created with seven more recovery points? I will have 14 recovery points (seven from chair 1 and seven more from chair 2).
When you create a new full, the old backup chain is not touched anymore until it is entirely deleted according to retention (including full and related increments). This happens when the new chain reaches the required number of restore points. So yes, at some moment in time you will have the chain consisting of two parts (7 restore points each). Please review this KB for a visual representation of how retention works for different methods.
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I apologize for my ignorance and difficulty in understanding, but I cannot understand why there are so many incremental options. Veeam could simplify!

Sorry me translated english.

It's not an outburst! I've been using the tool for a week.

I believe it is flexible to meet the needs of each one, even so I don't see that much need.

Come on ... I made a laboratory for each type of backup to understand in practice how each works.

I would like someone to have the patience to explain in a practical way with examples in which situation I should use the options that exist.

I read the documentation, some situations are written but when you quote the word "chain" it creates absurd confusion for me.

The results of Forever for Reverso in consumption I saw that it is the same. He says that the reverse is slower, but in my lab with 7 days and with few changes it was the same as Forever in both backup and restoration time. That is, I don't know when to use one or the other.

The Synthetic consumes much more space. In a 4-day retention period, he kept 11 days until recycling. And then I ask! Why use this option since it consumes more space than the others?

Can someone tell me: "Sandro, these differences are noticeable when you have very large" chains "and that means that the backup has a lot of time to find the information. What? Why should I worry about backup chain?

I think .... I want to do a 7-day disk backup only. I'll use forever. Do I have any risk? Do I need to do any full assets? Why? For what? When?

My problem is many people say it depends on your protection plan, how many recovery points or days and what I find very complicated in the solution causes a lot of confusion.

I miss an explanation like this:

- Scene 1

- You have a 7-day backup in forever mode.
- If you need to retrieve information from Wednesday, Veeam will retrieve the information from Wednesday's (VIB). And what (VBK) is used in this process for what? During the process, Veeam searches for information in (VBK) and incremental blocks in (VIB) and does the restoration? If so, in what situation would I need a full asset? (I see no need!)

- You have a 30-day backup in synthetic mode, without creating synthetic and full active.
- If you need information from the day (10) Veeam will go through all (VIB) until the day (10), together with (VBK) to do the restoration.
If you had a (Synthect full) on Saturday for example, you would not need to go every day (VIB) until the day (10), as it would use the (Synthect full = VBK) generated before it would already have the information for the day (10 ).
- (Active full) contains information only for the day it was made. What do I need to use these options for? I believe that it is necessary in case I want to export to a single tape with all the information. I understand that it is necessary to generate an (Active Full) on the day of export.

What I miss is a practical explanation of how data is accessed during the restoration process, the possible risks (slow access) during the process or loss of information, depending on the type of protection chosen.

Thanks.