Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JohnW
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Wilson

Feature requests - Service controller, more logs

Post by JohnW »

Please add a control panel to restart all Veeam services, including those on remote servers (VM hosts). Backup Exec has this capability and it's very useful.

Please add the ability to gather the system, application, and Hyper-V VMMS admin windows event logs from VM hosts when gathering support information. This should be automatic from all hosts in a cluster where necessary. (We are backing up a failover cluster). Add to this list any additional logs that may be necessary. It is time consuming to have to gather these manually, zip them up and then manually upload them.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature requests - Service controller, more logs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
can you describe why you want to restart remote Veeam services?

About the event logs: yes, also requested it some years ago internally as it annoyed me, but the argument against it was, that event log is not required in most cases. But I understand the request and your vote is counted.

Best regards,
Hannes
JohnW
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Wilson

Re: Feature requests - Service controller, more logs

Post by JohnW »

I was asked to restart the services on the VM hosts (cluster) in addition to the backup server (standalone physical machine) to solve a problem this weekend. As it's a failover cluster, it takes a while to log into the other machines and it seems like you would want all of the services restarted in a particular order for best effect. As it wouldn't be required in all cases, I would suggest you do something similar to BE and their deduplication services. Normally only the main services are restarted unless you check a box at the bottom which adds those extra services to the list. See below:

Main services only: https://www.screencast.com/t/F7uLNGccE
With dedupe services: https://www.screencast.com/t/ea9TRJObzaY

I would do something similar for the additional event logs. I was asked by your support team this weekend to gather these additional logs. It took quite a while and it would have been great if the process was automated.

The process would be even more elegant if I could enter a support case number and possibly a generated one-time use key (if you wanted extra security) from the support website when gathering the support info and Veaam would upload those logs for me rather than forcing me to make a sftp upload manually.