Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
DLAVI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Doron Lavi

Veeam Monitor Sample Rate

Post by DLAVI »

How can I change Veeam Monitor ver 5 Sample rate ( from Hours to Min or Sec)? :shock:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Monitor Sample Rate

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Doron,

Could you please tell me what time intervals would you like to change and what values would you like to set? Are the intervals you want to adjust somehow related to your monitoring regulations/internal policy?

Thanks.
DLAVI
Novice

Post by DLAVI »

Let me rephrase the question , I would like to get a report that displays the samples in diffrent intervals then hour
Each type of report displys by hour, I would like to create a report by an Interval of 5 min, is it possible ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not all the reports are created with hour data stamps. We have the following aggregation time intervals:

"Past hour" - 20 sec time stamps
"Past day" - 300 sec time stamps
More than one day – 7200 sec for each time stamp

As you see more granular data can be accessed by reports no older than "past day". All other reports use 2 hours time stamps for historical data reporting, you can adjust those default values, however I wouldn't recommend doing it, as your database size might grow dramatically.

If you feel that database requirement is not an issue for you, then please contact our support team for further instructions.

P.S. the reason why I asked you about desired intervals is that we want to adjust those time stamps (in v6) based on the feedback, so If you could give me more details on what you would like to achieve, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
DLAVI
Novice

Post by DLAVI »

We are embeding VMWare into one of the product line and we are trying to understand the cost( in terms of perfromance) of each app, now since we have models in our prodect we would like to understand the performance diff between them. In addition our prodcut contains several ESX\VM and they have influnce one another load we need to review the behaivor much more deeply (Graphs & numbers) then can be achieved with a single sample.

BTW - How do I address the Support ? trhought he website ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, I see...by the way out of curiosity for how long would you like to have 5 minutes data stamps? Past Week? 2 Weeks?

Yes, you can reach them through our website or via email directly - support@veeam.com
DLAVI
Novice

Post by DLAVI »

lets say at least 2 -3 weeks back
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alright, you've confirmed our thinking about having 5 minutes time stamps for the past two weeks in v6. Thanks for the feedback!
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexL »

To add my 2 cents: more granular data would be very welcome, 20 sec samples perhaps up till 24h, 300 sec samples for at least 1 week, storage is relatively cheap these days.

In our environment (250+ VM's) the VEEAM Monitor (free) database is about 6.5GB. I wouldn't mind a DB of 50 to 100GB, as long as performance doesn't suffer.

Perhaps make it user selectable, like the database retension settings in vSphere. You fill in some numbers and you get an estimate of the database size. That way the user can decide.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alex, thanks for the feedback. We've been thinking of adjusting aggregation intervals to 20 seconds for the past hour, 300 sec stamps for two weeks and 2 hours for everything that is older than two weeks. Would that also help you?
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexL »

That would surely help, but 2h samples are fairly useless imho, no way that could possibly be useful for performance troubleshooting. The averaging would flatten everything so much that I do not see how any valid conclusion could be drawn from it. But since I'm on the free version for the time being that's not an immediate concern :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

While I agree that 2 hour samples are less accurate, I doubt that 3-4 past weeks data is somewhat useful for real-time performance troubleshooting, this data is definitely useful for trending/capacity planning etc.

For example, If you have a performance issue and it is causing you some real trouble, the first thing you would do is check up past hour performance, then you'll compare previous day, then you'll shift your focus to a previous week. Going further than past two weeks in order to isolate the problem doesn't sound right to me, because this would mean that this issue stayed unnoticed/hidden for two weeks. And in this case our initial performance issue doesn't look like a real issue because you've lived with it for more than two weeks.

Does it make any sense? :)