Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Removing a individual VM from capacity tier?

Post by wa15 »

Using v9.5 U4 currently. If in Disk (Copy), I right click on a VM that has a few monthly GFS points in the cloud and select Delete from Disk including GFS points, what will happen on the following GFS run? Will the removed simply be uploaded again, assuming it's part of the backup copy job that has GFS enabled?

Here is what I am trying to achieve: I recently enabled GFS archives on a backup copy job and have several monthly GFS points in the cloud already, but I am trying to capture a fresh GFS point for one of the systems. Is the above how I would achieve it?
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: Removing a individual VM from capacity tier?

Post by sfirmes »

@w@wa15 First I would verify that the backup that you are deleting is the copy. If it is the copy, when the next SOBR Offload job runs (every 4 hours) the objects will be moved again to the object storage backed capacity tier.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Wouldn't the backup copy job have to run multiple times first for the VBK GFS (monthly GFS in our case) to be created?
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

@sfirmes One more question is that (sorry can't modify the last reply), will removing this VM from disk also free up space from capacity tier (in our case Azure S3)? We have per-VM backup files.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

1. Yes, of course it will not be until the next VBK GFS is created before it will be uploaded. This is just how Move policy works.

2. Yes, as documented here. What really happens here is you're removing this VM's backups from SOBR. The fact that some restore points are located in its Performance Tier, and other in Capacity Tier, does not matter as it's all parts of the same SOBR, so everything will be removed.

If you want to remove backup from Performance Tier only, you should move it to Capacity Tier instead.

This is also the case with v10 and Copy policy by the way, as backup in Performance Tier and its copy in Capacity Tier are tightly connected, so you cannot remove backup from Performance Tier without removing it from Capacity Tier.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 » 2 people like this post

Makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch for the help again! Can't tell you how much these timely responses in forum posts directly from Veeam creators help!