Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zano80
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Davide Zanichelli

Retention and more

Post by zano80 »

Hello to everyone, I'm new of this forum. I buy twenty instance of Veeam Backup and Replication and i Install with this license 20 Workstation of Veeam Agent for windows. The license is good and backup work, but I don't konw of retention work. I selecl to keep 14 backup, but in Nas the old backup are not cancelled.

Someone can explain me of retention do, i see that there one full backup at start and after that incremental.

Thanks

Dave
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Retention and more

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it depends what you configured for retention. There are two modes
- forward forever incremental
- forward incremental with active / synthetic full.

You can find animations for all of them here: https://www.veeam.com/kb1932 and some agent specific information in the user guide

Or you can simulate them step by step in the restore point simulator (check the "manual run"): https://rps.dewin.me/

Configuration is described in the user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40

Best regards,
Hannes
zano80
Influencer

Post by zano80 »

Thanks you, I set up 14 restore point and create an active full backup monthly on first sunday. From 1 March to 24, I have 24 backup in share folder. Why? I don't understand

Another one question, If I have 30 restore point and one full an active full backup monthly on first monday. How many backup I will have in the NAS? To restore a file, the first full backup is always needed?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

the first full backup is always needed?
That's the main question - and the answer is yes. To restore data from any incremental backup you must have previous restore points available including the fist full backup.
I set up 14 restore point and create an active full backup monthly on first sunday. From 1 March to 24, I have 24 backup in share folder. Why? I don't understand
Whenever periodic full backups are enabled increments are not merged into full backup. Instead, we will await till the very last incremental restore point from the backup is retired and then remove the entire chain (otherwise by removing the restore points immediately, we will lose the ability to restore data from following incremental restore points)
If I have 30 restore point and one full an active full backup monthly on first monday. How many backup I will have in the NAS?
Backup chain for the fist month will consist of first full backup and 29 incrementals. Entire chain is going to be removed only when the latest restore point is expired according to retention (which is set to keep 30 restore points, so backup chain for the second month should get another 30 restore points). Hope it helps!
zano80
Influencer

Post by zano80 »

thanks, of all. So I need all restore point and the software can restore the single file at the day that I select? Is True?

Another little question, I find in manual this:
Disabling Backup over VPN Connections
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows can disable backup over VPN connections. This helps you avoid extra costs if your VPN service provider charges you by the amount of data sent and received by your computer. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows automatically detects VPN connections and will not perform backup when your computer is on such connection.

By default, backup over VPN connections is enabled. To disable backup over VPN connections:

Double-click the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows icon in the system tray, or right-click the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows icon in the system tray and select Control Panel.
From the main menu, select Settings.
Click the Manage networks link.
In the Networks section, select the Restrict VPN connections usage check box.
This procedure disable backup, because Restrict is not the same word?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

So I need all restore point and the software can restore the single file at the day that I select? Is True?
Yes.
This procedure disable backup, because Restrict is not the same word?
This functionality will disable backup creation (backup job will not run) whenever the machine you are backing up is connected with target repository over VPN.