Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bjackson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Jackson

How to restore backup with a missing DC?

Post by bjackson »

Hello,

I represent a company that recently had their servers compromised. Some VM's were being backed up to a NAS. I have the Veaam backup files, but when I go to open them with a different server it asks for the old DC with this error message.

Veeam Backup and Replication
"We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organizatio's network and try again. If you previously signed in on this device with another credential, you can sign in with that credential."

I used the old admin credentials both ways:
domain\administrator AND administrator

Any ideas of how I might go about opening backup files from a DC that is now offline?

Thanks,

BD Jackson
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: How to restore backup with a missing DC?

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

In general, this should not be a problem at all - as long as backup server can access the backup files, you will be able to restore.

I'm just struggling to understand at what moment exactly do you get this message, and what account needs to be updated in Veeam to fix this. It will be much easier to troubleshoot with support over a live session, so please open a Severity 1 case - and they will assist you.

Alternatively, you could just do a new Veeam install, register your NAS repository, and tell it to import backups from there. This may be faster than trying to find out what stored credentials need to be updated in the existing install.

Thanks!