Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Veeam V10 AWS metrics?

Post by JHuston »

I'm looking at moving to AWS from Azure to leverage the immutability features of V10/AWS as well as the native object level tiring Veeam offers in V10. We currently use another hardware solution to move the data to Azure. We're sun-setting it very soon.

I'm looking for real life metrics around what a backup set looks like from a cost standpoint as well as any space savings you're seeing from scale out cloud object tiring. I've read the space savings can be pretty good but have not seen numbers anywhere on what that looks like. My full backup set is somewhere around 26TB a month but even if you have data around a smaller number, that would be greatly appreciated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam V10 AWS metrics?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the space saving is about the what you get with REFS / XFS block cloning. So the main question is, whether your 26 TB are block-cloned REFS data or on a classic file system.

A rough estimation can be made by using the restore point simulator with REFS https://rps.dewin.me/

Please note, that there are also space savings with active full for object storage (same like for synthetic full with REFS)

Best regards,
Hannes
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Post by JHuston » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Hannes, My repo is a REFS repo running on Server 2016. I do see substantial space savings with this. I'll take a look at the simulator and see what I can come up with.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

[MERGED] Estimating how many GBs of changes will be uploaded to S3?

Post by wa15 »

We currently have Veeam configured to upload a monthly GFS to Azure storage for 7 year retention. Is there a way to estimate how much data (i.e. how many GBs of changes) will be uploaded to Azure each month by looking at the VBK file size in Veeam?

Example: I have a SOBR offload job running with 28 VMs, one of which is (19.3TB). Veeam is saying 4.4TB read at 15MB/s. How do I find out how much more data Veeam needs to upload?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
do the answers above help?

Best regards,
Hannes
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Thanks Hannes. Oddly enough, when I look at an ReFS volume, the VBK file size vs size on disk is the same. And I can indeed see in job history that fast cloning completed successfully. Am I missing something?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

That's normal. If a block is shared between multiple files, you can't really attribute it to any particular one, can you? So, you can only gauge actual savings at the volume level - and that's exactly where you need to be looking! :D