Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
steve.bird
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Bird

Multiple Tape drives

Post by steve.bird »

We have a physical tape library with two LTO tape drives in. Its working reasonably well.

I have two quetions, I cant find the compression settings within veeam to utilise the compression the LTO drive offers.

the second question is, We only run one backup at a time, it spans multiple tapes. It obviously loads the first tape in the set and begins the backip, is there a way to have it pre-load the next tape into the other drive so the backup can contine without waiting for the tape to rewind/unload/reload and as the backup continues rewind/eject and load the next ready to contine..
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Multiple Tape drives

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Question 1: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 - normally there is no good reason to use it, as per default Veeam backups are already compressed.

Question 2: I'm not aware that the software could do what you ask for, but I ask myself why the backup job is not using both trap drives at the same time? With per-VM backup files, you can do parallel tape processing also with only one backup-to-tape job

Best regards,
Hannes