Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
bpayne
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Brandon Payne

Backup Copy to AWS S3 Network Speeds

Post by bpayne »

Hi All, we're looking to start sending backup files to AWS S3 OneZone IA (as a copy) for added ransomware protection. What I'm being asked is how fast throughput wise are you all seeing? I know its entirely dependent on each sites preference for speed allocation, but any details or gotcha's would be extremely helpful here before we start implementing. For ex - needing to throttle bandwidth to a certain speed, etc. For those of you that are not throttling your copies to S3, what speeds are you seeing? We currently do not have a Direct Connect connection yet, is that a must? My concern would be if my initial copy to S3 will not meet the backup copy job copy interval expiration time. We are a shop with well over 100TB's to copy.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Backup Copy to AWS S3 Network Speeds

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Brandon,
What I'm being asked is how fast throughput wise are you all seeing?
I have just S3 Standard as Capacity Tier extent and haven't used S3 OneZone IA, but throughput should be similar to S3 Standard if the same network conditions apply. It further depends on your internet link bandwidth, latency and how busy it is throughout offload window hours.
E.g. my current internet link upload rate of approx. 590 Mb/s gives me offload job throughput of 40 Mb/s. But I have bandwidth resources allocated elsewhere.
We currently do not have a Direct Connect connection yet, is that a must?
No, internet access for all performance extents or gateway server configured in Object Storage Properties is enough.

Thanks,
Oleg