Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
packergeek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jackie Gibbs

Deleting old volume backup

Post by packergeek »

Hi all.

I have a question. I had a spare drive that was getting backed that was going bad. I moved the data to new drive. I took out old drive and setup new drive with same drive letter. I went into Veeam and selected new volume for backup. Currently the backups are in a 15 chain backups that are done manually. I figured the backups would cycle out the old volume backup but apparently it still is being kept. I've ran 17 backups to try and remove the old volume but it still is present in the backup. Am I doing something wrong?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Deleting old volume backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the old volume will be removed from backup according to the retention setting. There is no way to remove data from backups before the retention expired (well, except just deleting all the backup files).

I don't believe that you are doing anything wrong. Everything sounds "as expected" to me. It depends how many days you configured in the retention settings and whether you configured active / synthetic full in the advanced settings

The alternative is to start a new backup chain and just delete the old backups.

Best regards,
Hannes