Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

Backup Copy Restore Points Offload

Post by scottf99 »

Hi. Posting in Object Storage as that is my primary question. Be good to get an answer on the synthetic thing too.

I have a SOBR that stores Backup Copies and all the Backup Copy Jobs are set to 14 "Restore Points to keep" and 4 Weekly Backups on Sunday. I am going to add a Capacity Tier as AWS S3 with Object lock.

Q1: What should I set the "Make recent backups immutable for" on the S3 Repository? 14 + 28 =42days to ensure all backup are immutable?
Q2: Is there a way to make the 4 Weekly Backups on the performance tier synthetic?

much appreciated
Scott
scottf99
Enthusiast

Re: Backup Copy Restore Points Offload

Post by scottf99 »

So I had a play with blockstat and it appears the "Weekly Backups" are using REFS block cloning and, as there is an option in the Job to "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments", so I assume the Weekly are also synthetic. So just the Immutable question to go :)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

Q1) assuming that you run daily BCJs, means that 14 days is smaller than 28 days (4 weeks). If you want to cover all data, then the longest period is good enough: 28 days

Q2) yes, it's the default setting

Best regards,
Hannes
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thanks very much. I do have another related question on BCJ. The option I mentioned "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments" is not available for selection if the BCJ is an Immediate Copy/Mirror. Is this to be expected and what is the actual setting for the job?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

that is expected and correct.
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thanks. So are you saying that only synthetic fulls are available on Immediate BCJ?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

correct. if you wish active fulls... could you please open a separate topic for that to not mix two things in one tread? :-)