Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Hyper-V/VMware to AHV Replication and vice versa ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi everybody,

I suppose replication between different hypervisors is not possible atm, right? Maybe a new feature request, if it makes sense? Please add the possibility to replicate VMs between Hyper-V, VMware and AHV and vice versa.

Nice new features of AHV plugin, if you can restore VMware and Hyper-V VM backups to AHV.

To minimize downtime, replication between hypervisors would be even better! Is that something Veeam is thinking about?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Hyper-V/VMware to AHV Replication and vice versa ...

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
your assumption is correct. Veeam replicates between the same hypervisor.

For your migration scenario, it makes totally sense. On the other hand, that's something that does not happen very often. Also 3rd party methods could be used (I remember myself using VMware converter in 2008 with very little downtime).

In general I see rare use cases for that. Because only few customers have budget to use multiple hypervisors (double amount of training, interoperability issues etc.).
replication between hypervisors would be even better
take your request as noted :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Hyper-V/VMware to AHV Replication and vice versa ...

Post by jmmarton »

While not replication, you can instantly recover AHV VMs to either Hyper-V or VMware. In a DR situation you could always spin up AHV VMs in a pinch to either Hyper-V or VMware. Something to consider in addition to your feature request of cross-hypervisor replication.

Joe