Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Jonelli
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: jonas domkus

Another newb with Pre-Setup questionst

Post by Jonelli »

I've read similar posts already, but I still wanted to start my own...
There are two rack servers:
Hyper-V Host with a couple VMS: One is a DC and file server, the other is an email server (non-microsoft)
Hyper-V Host Replicator for the above.
I already have an onsite Netgear ProNAS.

I'm interested in backing up all the VM's for disasters and backing up the File server data with individual file recovery.

Where should I put VEEAM?
The MS Replicator is already setup and working. Some have suggested to ditch it for VEEAM replication instead. I'm not trying to re-do everything, and it is already setup and working. Any further argument to ditch HyperV replication for VEEAM?

Next, we need an off-site solution too. That can be a cloud space. The file server isn't much more than 350GB right now. What is the best/easiest off-site cloud storage/backup solution for that file data?

Any other tips/suggestions or things to consider?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Another newb with Pre-Setup questionst

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jonas,
- ideally you need a dedicated server for Veeam Backup (additional VM will do the trick)
- for such small environment, keep your Hyper-V Replication since it is set and working already. On the long run in the future, with infrastructure growth or off-site replication use, you might find Veeam Replication of more use
- "best off-site cloud storage" is a tough question. "Easiest" would be Veeam Cloud Connect service provider storage - it takes several clicks to set everything up once you gain login credentials from chosen service provider. With Veeam there are multitude of off-site options available for you: Site-to-site Backup Copy Jobs to any storage of yours(Windows,Linux,SMB,NFS), Azure Blob, Amazon S3\S3-compatible storages, IBM Cloud Storage, Veeam Cloud Connect just to name a few.
/Hope that helps!