Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
phase
Lurker
Liked: never

How do you know if Snapshot Hunter is running

Post by phase »

Hi all,

I would like to know how to check if Snapshot Hunter is running.
I did not see any history regarding the snapshot hunter, so not sure if it's running.
Just found there are multiple orpahned snapshot piled up.
The version is 9.5 and the snapshot hunter seems not disabled since there is no registry added.
If you could help me find out snapshot hunter is functioning, that would be much apprecaited.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: How do you know if Snapshot Hunter is running

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Please keep in mind that Snapshot Hunter is designed to take care about snapshots which do not exist from vSphere perspective, but are still physically present on the datastore.

You say you see "multiple orphaned snapshot piled up", which most likely means you are able to see them in vSphere Web Client, which means vSphere is aware of their existence. Snapshot Hunter will not try to do anything about such "valid" snasphots, as it cannot know if these snapshots are useless and should be deleted - or if you just created multiple snapshots on some of your VMs. Does it make sense?

Thanks!
phase
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by phase »

Hi Gostev,

Thank you much for the explanation!
I am bit confused as below is the description given on the website.
I thoguth the explanation implies the snapshot would be remained and appeared on the vSphere...
The Snapshot Hunter addresses the problem of “phantom” snapshots. Under some circumstances, VMware vSphere can report a successful removal of a snapshot but the snapshot actually remains on the datastore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Ha! I wrote my first post from the top of my head, and I find it amusing how the official explanation from the web site is virtually identical to what I said. Don't you think so? :D