Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Agent Backups when not connected to office network

Post by adamfindlay » 1 person likes this post

Hello, I have a customer that has the following setup.

3x Laptops running Veeam Agent for Windows
1x Backup and Replication server hosting a repository
A copy job that runs daily to copy the Agent backups up to a Cloud Connect repository

The Agent backups are managed by the B&R. The issue we are seeing is that when the users are out of the office and not connected to the office network the scheduled backup tries to run and generates a failure. Is there any way to stop this happening and make the backup only run when the users are connected to the office network for example? Or is there an alternative way to design the setup which could alleviate this problem?

thanks

Adam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent Backups when not connected to office network

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hello Adam,

Fist option would be to backup directly to cloud connect repository - this will ensure that agents can connect to the target over internet. Second idea is to configure so called backup cache to store backup locally on the machine's disk when the destination is unreachable. Such restore point with be synchronized later when the connectivity is restored. Cheers!
mfred02
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Masi

Post by mfred02 »

Hello Dima,
I'm about the same situation as Adam. Particularly, in these days, I upgraded B&R to v10 (which operates also to backup a single Hyper-V server...) and I'm upgrading each Veeam Agent Client to last version. So that everybody is happy!

It is licensed with a perpetual standard edition 2 socket (2 socket used) and 2 free instances (1 used). (It was bought as Backup Essential product with a 2 instance promotion offer included... really I have 5 PC di backup but I can start to cover with licence 2 of them and then if everything goes well, I'll buy extra licenses.)

I'd like to give a try to so called Backup cache, but... when I updated first of my PC clients I didn't see that option in the wizard :cry:
On the left I see: Name, Backup Mode, Destination, Backup Server, Backup Repository, Schedule, Summary... and that's it!

Is it because that client is not licensed?? Or because for some reason this feature could not be applicable to that pc? What I read from help is that if there is a single disk/single volume on PC, it should anyway works...

Well, really... that client - not only is not licensed - but is not even listed in the LICENSED INSTANCES inside the LICENSE INFORMATION. But maybe this is another problem...? Could you give here some hint? Or better open a case?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Federico,
I'd like to give a try to so called Backup cache, but... when I updated first of my PC clients I didn't see that option in the wizard
I should have mentioned that backup cache functionality has following requirements:

- when agent is managed by backup server, job must be configured as managed by agent
- image-level backup (i.e. entire computer backup or volume level backup )
- remote targets (i.e. shared folder / veeam repository / cloud connect repository)

Can you please check your agent job configuration?
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Post by adamfindlay »

Dima, thanks for your response it sounds like the backup cache may be the solution. I will give that a try and see how I get on.

Adam
mfred02
Novice

Post by mfred02 » 1 person likes this post

Now, I'm upgrading agent on a second PC and I verifying that:

1) Agent is not managed.
2) Entire computer backup.
3) Veeam repository.

Well... this said, I tried something else: on Veeam B&R, in LICENSE INFORMATION / Instances, I checked "Allow unlicensed agents to consume instances" and... magically, after restarting wizard to edit job, I finally saw the Backup cache options and could configure it!!!
And finally say appearing the first client I upgraded yesterday, so I could assign it a license.

So, all this said, can you definitively confirm THAT a license IS needed to enable Backup cache? And that in the free edition Backup cache is not enabled?

Thanks again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 2 people like this post

Yes, the backup cache option is part of the paid editions only: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_vaw_edition ... son_ds.pdf
mfred02
Novice

Post by mfred02 »

Thank you all, @Dima & @Vitaliy!