Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Application Aware Processing Exclusions

Post by ekisner »

I'm not sure what the precedence stuff looks like, but I encountered something a little bit counter-intuitive.

I have a few linux appliances which only have support logons; tech support can log in, however I cannot. I thus cannot provide creds for AAP to work.

The VMs are added to the job via a tag. I went into the AAP settings and added the VMware vAPP which they were a member of to the AAP with both ignore and disable options set (different iterations) and each time the job failed. It was only when I explicitly added the VMs to the AAP settings that they correctly ignored AAP applied to the tag.

I would have expected a precedence of deny-ignore-allow regardless of how they are added to the AAP settings. Though that's purely my own opinion on the subject. Everything's working with the VMs added explicitly, and it's only a few so it's no huge problem. Just thought I'd bring it up.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Application Aware Processing Exclusions

Post by Gostev »

This could be just a bug, or perhaps some misconfiguration. Did you investigate this with our support?
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

No, after individually adding the VMs the job started performing as desired. I did not open a support request.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The VMs are added to the job via a tag. I went into the AAP settings and added the VMware vAPP which they were a member of to the AAP with both ignore and disable options set (different iterations) and each time the job failed.
Just to be sure, you have

- created vCloud Director Backup Job
- added a Tag as job source object
- added a particular vCD vApp to application processing exclusions (disable/ignore)

Then, the job failed.

And if you add specific VMs from the given vApp to the application processing exclusions, everything works correctly?

I'm asking, because this information will help us reproduce the issue.

Thanks!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Sorry for the delay! Cloud Director was not involved at all.

I have plain old Veeam B&R backup-to-disk jobs set up (job type 'VMware Backup'). They take their targeting data from tags set in VMware.

Within VMware, I have application server groups within vanilla vApps. So for SharePoint, as an example, I have 2 WFEs and 2 App servers. Tags are generally assigned to all elements directly because I use scripts for everything, so a vApp and a VM will both have the same tag assigned, even though assigning it to a vApp will propagate correctly anyways.

Multiple vApps can have the same tag, however, and sometimes AAP isn't always going to be handled the same.

When adding the specific vApp (nested, in this case, within the other vApp) as an exclusion, it did not process correctly. When adding the individual VMs of that vApp, it did.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

OK, got it, then, I have to agree with Anton that we need you to open a support ticket to investigate it further. Thanks!
Aarzang
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mikhail Gold

Post by Aarzang »

Hello!
Checked this situation. If the VMs are added to the job directly via tag, they'll have individual AAP enabled by default (if AAP is enabled itself at all), which will override AAP options of any container object like vApp that they are members of.