Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tobias.F
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Baremetal recovery from SSD to NVMe?

Post by Tobias.F »

Hello,

I failed to use baremetal recovery of Agent for Windows 4.0 to migrate my Windows 10 1909 from SATA SSD to a new PCIe NVMe M.2 drive.

Current installation Windows on SSD is UEFI mode with GPT. Bitlocker is installed. I used fresh created recovery media to boot from USB. I disconnected the SATA drive and connected the NVMe drive. Baremetal recovery of system disk only, not data disks. Recovery completed with OK. NVMe is booting, the circle on the screen is tuning. But then after a while the PC is rebooting and enters automatic repair after a couple of cycles. I also tried the repair function of the windows recovery boot menu. No change.

Driver of NVMe missing in Windows?
If so, possible to add manually?

It is not a disaster recovery. No data is lost. But before I spend the effort for a fresh install, I am looking for the easy way.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Baremetal recovery from SSD to NVMe?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tobias,

Mind me asking if the shrink operation was performed during recovery or NVMe was the same size as SSD? Cheers!
Tobias.F
Novice

Post by Tobias.F »

Hello,

no shrinking was performed, or at least manually initiated by me. The NVMe is larger in size than the SSD.

There also is no other partition on the SSD beside the sytem default ones. There are two recovery partitions. I in my first attempt I skipped the not used recovery partition to later being able easier to expand the C partition. But in my second trial I kept partition layout by 100%: recovery (not in use) - UEFI - system - recovery (in use)
Tobias.F
Novice

Post by Tobias.F »

Solved!
I do not know what was the root cause. But finally I could solve my issue by booting to Windows protected mode and then doing a reboot. Finally it was simple. But it took me a long time to get this idea.

But still I am wondering what Veeam is doing. Something screwed up during driver injection?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that the issue is resolved! I suspect that the issue was caused by the Bitlocker: after recovery to a new disk you get the Bitlocker key mismatch - the system disk was replaced with the new disk, and new disk is not yet recognized by the OS. I'll discuss this issue with RnD folks. Cheers!
IdefixRC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Weber

Post by IdefixRC »

Hi,

I ran into the exact same issue today. Win10 (64bit client). No BitLocker. Bare metal recovery after switching from a m.2 SSD (120GB) to a m.2 NVME (500GB). Exact same issue as described above. Booting into safe mode (didn't even have to log on) and restarting the PC after that it worked (Thanks a million for posting the solution here !!!).

In addition, I had issues with the intel WLAN drivers (Asus UN65U PC) in the recovery media. The driver was included but showed up as not installed. Installing it through the recovery menu caused an error message so the recovery had to be performed from a USB disk instead via the network.

Br,
Eric
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Eric,

Thanks for updating this thread, we are investigating the described issue!
rfgamaral
Novice

Post by rfgamaral »

I'm having the same issue and like @IdefixRC I don't use Bitlocker.

Here's my problem description:
  • I have Windows 10 installed on my Samsung SSD;
  • Made a full active backup of the whole disk (including recovery and system partitions);
  • Powered the PC down and unplugged the Samsung SSD;
  • Booted into Veeam Recovery;
  • Did a Bare Metal Recovery to my new WD NVMe using
  • The system doesn't boot with an INNACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error;
A few more facts about this:
  • I tried to restore with "inject drivers" option enabled and disabled (didn't fix anything, same boot error);
  • Attempted a "Startup Repair" inside the recovery environment (didn't fix anything, same boot error);
  • Booted into safe mode (through Veeam recovery environment) and it didn't boot, got "Error code: 0xc0000225";
  • I've checked and both the Samsung SSD and WD NVMe are GPT disks with UEFI boot partitions;
How did I fix my problem?
  • I haven't yet...
rfgamaral
Novice

Post by rfgamaral »

I had to use diskpart and manually fix my boot device, it was a pain.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello rfgamaral,

Thanks for the detailed feedback! So far it looks like the issue is related to NVMe drivers. QA team is still investigating this problem, I'll update this thread once I hear back anything. Cheers!
rfgamaral
Novice

Post by rfgamaral »

I'm not quite sure that's the issue Dima, because I also tried to restore the same backup to another Samsung SSD and I got the same problem, I had to use diskpart and fix the boot files manually.

Anyway, I've now restore my backup to my new NVMe disk and that's where I'm running my Windows 10 from. I have updated Veeam Agent for Windows from v3 to v4, created a completely new backup (of my NVMe), created a new recovery environment (from v4) and I'll be testing later today a restore to one of my Samsung SSD drives. Basically the inverse process, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm doing this just to be sure the backup is good and not broken.
rfgamaral
Novice

Post by rfgamaral »

I just want to report that the new backup from Veeam 4 (using a Recovery Environment from v4) worked without issues.