Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

[SOLARIS] Solaris Agent - How can I use this in production?

Post by tehinternet »

I am running current version 1.0.0.42 on Solaris 10 hosts.

My goal is to use these to backup up incremental backups to our main backup server. I've been reading the manual and using the agent the way I think it was intended, but I'm hitting some roadblocks which leave me wondering if I'm doing it right.

First off, I can't write a backup to a Veeam repository or SMB/CIFS share. This makes it difficult to get the backups off the server. Right now I'm writing them to a mounted NFS share (that's not my Windows backup server) and that still leaves me with the problem of keeping the backup chain accessible to the agent, but getting backups offsite. I need to script/automate something outside of Veeam to monitor that backups are done and to copy (not move) them to my backup server. Maybe my organization is kneecapping ourselves by not using samba on Solaris servers. But the way the agent was acting, I don't think it links UNC paths as backup destinations anyway.

Secondly, incremental backups seems to take a long time to run. On my servers nearly 24 hours (or more for the largest) for the first incremental backup(the full) , then half a day to 24 hours for the actual incremental. Normally this isn't a problem. I can still use Symantec/Veritas NetBackup to back up these servers at like 45 minutes a pop. Veeam's incremental seems to take forever though. Taking this long I can't fit it in a normal once-a-day backup routine. (Oh, and trying to do file-level recovery from the .tar.gz isn't that pretty either)

With these two problems, I can't really trust this agent in primetime. I know this agent is in its infancy, but I also feel like I'm missing something here. What am I missing?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Solaris Agent - How can I use this in production?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
we are working on the topics you describe and I would recommend to check out version 2 when available. Version 2 uses Veeam technology instead of 3rd party technology which allows better integration into VBR and optimizations.

In the current virus situation it's hard to estimate when version 2 will be available, but we hope soon.

Best regards,
Hannes
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Re: [SOLARIS] Solaris Agent - How can I use this in production?

Post by tehinternet »

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it.

The integration to be able:
-Write to a Veeam repository
-Write to UNC paths
-not have full backup and incremental fight each other
-speed increase
-GUI file restore

Would all be great things. I know this agent is still new. If it could work like the Linux agent, that would be great!
wesprather
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wesley Prather

Post by wesprather »

Ditto on all this. Bring on the v2 ASAP! I could use it yesterday.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
version 2 is available for download since yesterday http://veeam.com/downloads

Best regards,
Hannes