Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
glennchot
Novice
Liked: never

Backup a 10GB ethernet

Post by glennchot »

Hello everyone?

It is the first time that I write, I have the following query

I have two 10GB switches through SPF +, the network segments are isolated in two networks with different segments, they are simple networks only have the IP and the mask, this would be my backup network.

That said, I am configuring a repository through smb, placing the same backup server as the gateway server but with an IP that is in the backup network, that is, I have 2 nics, one from the production network at 1GB and another at 10GB which is the backup.

The backup proxy is the same backup server, in the same way as configured by the backup network, that is, delete the default value and according to the IP of the backup network.

When executing the work, in effect it goes through the backup network but the maximum speed it seizes is between 80 mb and 140 mb, when from what he read should be at least 300 and 400mb and even he seen the stage where they are older.

I would like you to guide me please to see if I am missing something or am applying some configuration wrong.

Additional information use vmware 6.0U3 and NAS Qnap.

Thank you very much in advance.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup a 10GB ethernet

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can you please share the Bottlneck statistics of a Job ?
glennchot
Novice

Post by glennchot »

Hello, I ran it with another vm and it worked better, I achieved speeds from 200 to 500mb, on average it could be between 350 390mb, I still send the request to see if I can improve it or if I am placing something wrong,

the statistics are these,

Busy: source 73%, Proxy: 24%, Network: 77%, Target: 0%

What do you think?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

OK looks like there are 2 areas where you have to look at.
1) The Backup Server, does it have enough resources (CPU/RAM)?
2) The way you read backups. Can you please check which backup mode you use. Go to the Job statistic, then click on a VM and then watch at the disks for NBD/HotAdd/DirectSAN/DirectNFS...
glennchot
Novice

Post by glennchot »

In response to the first question, the server has 16vCPU and 12GB of ram.

In response to the 2nd question Hot Add.

Additional information the network mode for the proxy is in automatic mode.

I did another test with a much heavier machine and presenting a LUN directly to Windows through ISCSI initializer and finished 45 minutes earlier than the one run by SMB.

I find it curious is that Windows in the transfer statistics detects that the connection is 10GB but the maximum it gives is up to 2GB.

In vmware put the network card as VMXNET3.

What do you think?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Not sure if I can follow with the numbers.
A 10GbE card has a throughput of 1,2 GBps

Likely in your environment the network speed is not the bottleneck and the source is it.
When you have the Proxy and Repository(Gateway Server) role on same Server then the Network bottleneck analyse show the windows internal transfer. The Number is high there. Make sure that you configure your antivirus correctly on the server https://www.veeam.com/kb1999 or test it without it.
glennchot
Novice

Post by glennchot »

Hello thanks for the answer, I ask you the following,

Excuse me, I don't understand what you are telling me?

I'm not sure if I can stick with the numbers.
A 10 GbE card has a performance of 1.2 GBps

Probably in your environment, network speed is not the bottleneck and the source is.
When you have the Proxy and Repository (gateway server) role on the same server, the network bottleneck scan shows Windows internal transfer. The number is high there. Be sure to configure your antivirus correctly on the server https://www.veeam.com/kb1999 or try it without it.

And I'm going to try the antivirus to see ...
Svalbard2018
Novice
Full Name: Alberto Moriconi

Post by Svalbard2018 »

Hello, just my 2 cent.
I've been thru this similar problems.
If you are pulling data from the ESX hosts thru the Veeam server up to the Backup storage, there are several actors.

- The storage of the ESX
- The ESX
- The ESX network
- The Veeam server
- The Backup network
- The backup storage

It's a chain. Anyone of these can slow down the whole data transfer.
My big issue was the ESX network. It was 1 gbps. So it was nearly worthless to have the 10 gbps backup network.
I moved the ESX management network to 10 gbps and now I am experiencing speed from 100 to 350 MBs
Moreover I use QNAP storage only for copies and the backups are on Veeam server local storage which is of course faster.
I have several Enterprise QNAP but the are very slow with multiple I/O flows (so one single data transfer can be quite fast fast, but several will slow things down a lot).
Regards, Alberto.