Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Move backup from standard repo to SOBR

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

What is the right way to migrate backup files from a standard repository to a scale-out repository?

I've tried copying the raw files through Windows Explorer and then adjusting the storage location for the backup in the backup job. It has replied with a message which is like the one you'd see if the files weren't in the new location. i.e. says please move all files to the repository first... or similar. So there must be some other way of doing it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Move backup from standard repo to SOBR

Post by foggy »

The proper approach would be to add the repository as an extent to SOBR. If you prefer to move the files manually, make sure VBM is also copied and just rescan the SOBR after that - it should pick up the chains.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

No difference after rescanning the SOBR. So can only conclude that I somehow corrupted the files during the moving process. It's not an important one so I'll restart it in the new location.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

We have official KB article for that process too.
/Cheers!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

For the benefit of anyone failing to move backups in this scenario I can confirm (with help from Egor's document) that the main cause was mentioned right at the bottom.

"◾The path and .VBM file must not contain spaces. If the path or the .VBM file contain spaces, replace them with underscores."

In my case the folder containing the backup files had spaces in the path name. So I replaced those with underscores. I also did the same for the .VBM files. You don't have to do this for the .VIB and .VBK files.

I also had to use the 'Map Backup' button next to the storage selector.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Come across another challenge related to this. I've had to restart another job. (i.e. no backup history)

If the name of the backup was edited after the job had been created you'll find it continues to use the old name for the job for the filing system on the repository. When you try to move the old files to a new repository Veeam will look for the files with the new (current) name of the job.. which would have different file names.

I can't find a way around this particular issue so I've restarted the job.

I tried cloning the job, running it to the new repository and copying the file names the cloned job was using but that hasn't worked. So a renamed job does something different to a cloned job. The cloned job is effectively a new job with no awareness of old file names.

I believe this could be described as a bug but as 9.5 isn't current I wouldn't expect anyone to be retrospectively correcting the issue... unless it's carried over to v10.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You could use this KB before the migration to bring everything to the same names.