Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Migrate from depdup to dedup?

Post by ninjaburn81 »

So we are working to decommission our old Data Domain 620 repository and migrate everything over to new hardware, specifically Cohesity and DAS (depending on need/location). However what is the cleanest way to migrate all of our old restore points? Because of dedup, a simple copy fails due to it seeing say 50TB of data on the 620, and only 25TB on the Cohesity of usable space...so it says 'nope'.

How do I get around this? Slowly copy in chunks to allow dedup and compression to kick in on the new targets? Or is there something I can do inside Veeam?

Thanks for the help!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migrate from depdup to dedup?

Post by veremin »

I don't think there is much you can do in this case. Even if you add existing repository as one SOBR extent and new repository as the other and evacuate the backups, the data will be re-hydrated upon evacuation and you will need time, before deduplication kicks in and the used space starts decreasing gradually. Thanks!
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

That's what i figured...so best option is just start moving them over in chunks so dedup can kick in, until it's all moved?

Joy...*puts more coffee on*...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure what you exactly mean by "start moving them over in chunks", can you elaborate on how you're going to approach this? Thanks!